Curle clears up confusion over Chukwuemeka's contract situation amid links to Aston Villa

Reports suggested teenager had rejected a contract offer from Cobblers
Caleb ChukwuemekaCaleb Chukwuemeka
Caleb Chukwuemeka

Keith Curle says young striker Caleb Chukwuemeka has not yet been offered a new contract by the Cobblers following speculation linking the teenager with a move to Premier League side Aston Villa.

The Daily Mail reported last week that Chukwuemeka had turned down his first professional contract offer at Northampton and Villa were interested in reuniting him with brother Carney, currently on the books at Villa Park.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Norwich City and Club Brugges were also said to be among those chasing the 18-year-old striker, but Curle denies that is the case and says he is very much a Cobblers player and will remain so.

"The reality is that Caleb hasn't been offered a contract yet," said the Town boss. "We've identified him as a player that's got room for development and that's why he's been training with the first-team.

"The club haven't received an offer for Caleb and the club haven't offered him a pro contract because he's still under contract at the football club as he had an extended six months due to joining the group six months later.

"He was able to have a further six months and as soon as those six months are up, that's when the club will sit down and start negotiations with him - not before then."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Chukwuemeka was handed his debut at the weekend when he played the final few minutes of Saturday's 2-2 draw with AFC Wimbledon.

"Caleb came on and had a couple of good touches and he'll be pleased," Curle added. "I think it shows the pathway within the football club and that's got to be a spur for the youth team players because there are opportunities at Northampton."