Brady didn't want any regrets as Mills goes to hospital

Town boss made two changes at half-time

Sunday, 2nd May 2021, 3:32 pm
Updated Sunday, 2nd May 2021, 3:34 pm
Joseph Mills couldn't put any weight on his ankle after suffering a painful injury in the early stages of Saturday's defeat to Blackpool. Picture: Pete Norton.

Jon Brady conceded it was always a risk to make two changes at half-time and go to a more attacking approach during Saturday's 3-0 home defeat to Blackpool.

Luke Garbutt's early opener was added to by a late double from Jerry Yates as Town's relegation was confirmed with one game to spare.

Cobblers competed well with the visitors in the first-half despite trailing, but Brady made the decision to bring on two strikers in Ryan Edmondson and Danny Rose and go with two men up front.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It did not pay off, however, as his side were overrun in the middle and struggled to get a foothold at any point in the second-half.

"They're a class outfit but I felt we were really in the game up until half-time and then we made changes and want 4-4-2," said Brady.

"The result doesn't look great in the end but I'm not going to sit there at 1-0 down and not go for it. We went for it earlier than we did at Gillingham and we started off quite well but it then left us open after about 10 minutes into the second-half.

"We knew that could be a possibility but we would rather have a go and get two up top.

"But the problem is, at this level, the reason why we're playing one up top is because these teams are very good on the ball and they have the quality with their three in midfield.

"We've got limited ability when we're playing two of ours against three of them in midfield and that was the difference."

Injuries didn't help Town's cause. They lost captain Joseph Mills to a nasty injury only eight minutes in while Lloyd Jones and Peter Kioso also battled through the pain barrier.

"We obviously lost Millsy early on," Brady added. "He had to go off and he's gone to hospital.

"Millsy actually pulled his calf in the second-half last weekend against Gillingham but as the skipper he wanted to play on.

"He only trained on Friday and said he would play against Blackpool and he was desperate to play. We've talked about these boys putting themselves on the line and that's what they have done."