Brackley fight back to move up to fourth

Kevin Wilkin's team were back in action after a month and claimed an impressive home success
Kevin WilkinKevin Wilkin
Kevin Wilkin

Brackley Town moved into fourth place in the Vanarama National League North table as they came from behind to beat Chorley in the only game played in the division at the weekend.

With a number of clubs refusing to play due to the ongoing funding issues at Step 2 and others involved in the Buildbase FA Trophy, all eyes were on St James Park as Kevin Wilkin’s men took on the FA Cup heroes in their first game for a month.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And, in the end, the Saints picked up from where they left off as they made it nine games with defeat with a 2-1 success to move to within one point of second-placed Chester.

They did things the hard way though as Chorley took the lead after 12 minutes when Elliot Newby picked his spot from 20 yards.

The Magpies had a golden chance to double their lead in the first half when Ethan Coleman was adjudged to have impeded Will Tomlinson to give the visitors a penalty. But Danny Lewis saved Connor Hall’s firmly struck spot-kick.

Brackley started the second half well and Shep Murombedzi was denied by Chorley goalkeeper Matt Urwin before the equaliser arrived on the hour.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Jimmy Armson wrestled for the ball at close range before Lee Ndlovu’s shot was deflected off Armson into the goal as Urwin was left wrong-footed.

Within three minutes Brackley had the lead. Wes York picked up the loose ball after Armson’s corner was only half cleared and drilled his shot through a crowd of players took a deflection on its way beyond Urwin.

Lewis was forced into two fine saves to preserve the advantage while, at the other end, the returning Glenn Walker and Ndlovu both went close to extending the lead.

But Brackley saw things out and boss Kevin Wilkin said: “It’s a fantastic win for us against an excellent Chorley side and I am really pleased and proud of my players to bounce back after a long, enforced lay-off.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“There was a period in the first half when the game could have moved away from us but Danny made the save from the penalty to keep us in the game.

“We scored a couple of scruffy goals and worked really hard to go on and claim the three points.

“We can’t make the four week lay-off an excuse. Physically we are strong and overall we have some great athletes in that side.

“Both sides were really competitive so we are pleased to come out with the win.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Brackley are scheduled to host Southport tomorrow (Tuesday) night but that game looks unlikely to take place with the Sandgrounders being one of those teams refusing to play until the funding issues are resolved.