Boss Brady hoping trio will put pen to paper on new Cobblers contracts
Boss Jon Brady has explained the reasoning behind his decision to offer Lloyd Jones, Ryan Watson and Scott Pollock new deals to stay at the Cobblers.
The Town manager announced his first retained list on Tuesday, and it was revealed that six players have been released, with just three of last season's first team squad being offered terms.
Central defender Jones and midfielder Watson were standout performers for the Cobblers despite the relegation from Sky Bet League One, with the latter ending the campaign as top goal scorer.
Brady is obviously keen for the influential pair to extend their Cobblers careers, and he is hoping they will both want to stay on at the PTS Academy Stadium despite the club dropping into the fourth tier of English football.
"I feel we have helped both Lloyd and Ryan with their development in the time we have worked with them," said Brady.
"And I think it would be good for both players to continue that development with us.
"I think both of them would benefit from staying with the club, they are settled here and they know how we work and we know how they work but of course the final decision rests with the players."
The decision to offer Pollock a new deal won't come as a surprise to anybody who has seen the 20-year-old in action, but the issue for him is that he failed to play a single minute of football last season after picking up an injury last summer.
He is a player that Brady knows very well from his time managing the Cobblers under-18s, and the Town boss says the decision to offer the player a new contract is all about the midfielder's undoubted potential.
"Scott has missed the whole season with injury and we have missed him, but we hope to have him back next season to continue his progression," said Brady.
"Our decision to offer Scott a new deal recognises the potential he has. I worked with Scott in the under 18s and I know what a good player he can be."
The other contracts that have been offered out by Brady are to youngsters Max Dyche, Liam Cross and Josh Flanagan.
Dyche made two appearances for the first team at the end of last year, while Cross was handed his senior debut in Sunday's 1-1 draw at Sunderland.
The Town boss has worked closely with the pair as well as Flanagan for the past couple of years and believes they have what it takes to step up to the senior level, but made it clear the onus is now on them to prove it.
"They are players I know well from the under 18s and I am looking forward to seeing them continuing their development," said Brady of the young trio.
"We want to create a culture where our young players get their opportunity at first team level but they have to earn it, it won't just be handed to anyone on a plate.
"We want a winning culture and a culture where players can develop and we have six former academy players either under contract or with contract offers for next season and that is very encouraging."