Success the only thing on Northampton boxer Carl Fail's mind as he gears up for professional debut
Northampton boxer Carl Fail has says he is ‘excited’ at the prospect of making his professional debut when he steps into the ring for the first time in more than a year on March 12.
The 24-year-old, who has stepped up to the pro ranks after enjoying a stellar amateur career, will be involved in next Friday’s #MTKFightNight at the University of Bolton Stadium, which will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
Super welterweight Fail is yet to discover who he will will be taking on, but the bout will be on the undercard of WBO European welterweight title fight between Lewis Crocker and Deniz Ilbay, as well as the clash between Gary Cully and Viktor Kotochigov for the vacant WBO European lightweight title.
As an amateur, Fail and his twin brother Ben have been making waves for a long time now.
Carl was a multiple-time national and GB champion, as well as being a two-time European silver medallist, and his professional debut is a huge moment for him.
Brother Ben was first off the blocks on that score, claiming a win on his pro debut last September when he impressively beat Robbie Chapman, and Carl now wants to get out and show what he can do.
“I am excited, because it is something I have wanted to do since I walked into the boxing gym when I was 11 years old,” said Fail, who trains out of John Daly’s Far Cotton Boxing Club.
“I think the nerves will kick in when I am there, but right now I am excited. It is a good show, and I am really looking forward to it.”
It’s not ideal that Fail doesn’t yet know who he will be taking on, but he is confident he will be able to handle whoever it ends up being.
“I don’t know who I will be fighting yet as we have had a few pull-outs which has been a bit of a headache,” he said.
“But I have a good promoter and manager and I am sure they are going to come through with an opponent in the next couple of days.
“I am trying not to focus on that now though, I just want to focus on being the best I can be and whoever I come up against I will adapt to the situation and deal with it.”
The Fail twins were both signed by the ever-growing MTK Global last year, and Carl was originally pencilled in for a debut on March 19, but it has been brought forward a week and the fighter says that is not an issue.
Indeed, he just wants to get back into the action again after a year out.
“We are in the gym all year round anyway, we were in the gym all over Christmas and are ready, so the sooner we fight the better we thought,” said Fail.
It has been a frustrating year for all boxers due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
But the Northampton fighter says he has been putting the time he has been afforded away from competition to good use.
“I haven’t had a fight since February last year, so it has been about a year since my last tournament, but it’s okay,” said Fail.
“This year has obviously been bad with what has happened and hasn’t been any good for anybody, but it has give me the opportunity to learn my craft more and develop as a professional.
“So it has been a blessing in disguise for me and I am looking forward to getting out there.
“I think everybody is going to be shocked when they see the new and improved Carl Fail.”