Northampton boxer Conway left frustrated as big Cissokho fight is cancelled for 'administrative reasons'
The Northampton fighter was primed and ready to take on Cissokho at Wembley Arena next Saturday (Dec 12), with the contest part of the undercard of the world heavyweight title clash between Anthony Joshua and Kubrat Pulev.
The 10-rounds super welterweight contest was set to be beamed across the UK on Sky Sports Box Office and the rest of the world on DAZN, but it is now off due to 'administrative reasons' concerning the Cissokho camp, and that is a massive frustration for Conway.
The 24-year-old, who is nicknamed Too Class, is now hoping an alternative opponent can be found so he can still get in the ring at Wembley, but there is no guarantee that will happen at such short notice.
Writing on his Facebook page, Conway said: "Unfortunately my highly anticipated fight on the AJ versus Pulev card is off.
"This has nothing to do with me or my end of the fight, so I apologise on their behalf.
"They got away with it this time, but I’m still ready and looking for an opponent so if anyone is ready for it get in touch with MTK and Matchroom."
Cissokho took to Instagram to announce to his 100,000 followers: "The fight has been cancelled for administrative reasons. It is too bad because I was beyond ready!!!
"I know you couldn't wait to see me back in the ring, it won't be long."
The fight was to be 29-year-old Cissokho's first since September, 2019, while Conway would have been taking on his second fight in the space of four months, having beaten Nav Mansouri behind closed doors in August.
Conway was a big underdog with the bookmakers for the clash with Cissokho, who claimed a bronze medal at the 2016 Olympics in Rio, but the Northampton fighter was confident he was going to upset the odds.
"If I wasn't confident, then we wouldn't be here," Conway told me last week.
"I am very confident I will win, and I am going into the fight to win and upset the odds.
"The odds are really stacked against me, but I am going there to upset them again, and if people keep overlooking me that's their downfall.
"It is a big test for me, but I have never been one to shy away from that.
"We are fighters at the end of the day, and if everything adds up right I will get in there with whoever because I am not scared to face any challenge.
"I truly believe I am going into this fight to win it, and I think they (Cissokho's team) are making a mistake this early on in his career.
"He hasn't been in the ring with a pro that's coming at him with my youth, my freshness and my eagerness to win.
"I think this is his first test.
"There isn't too much footage of him about, but there is enough for me to see what he is all about, and I think I am going to be fully prepared."