Residents safe after Northampton flat fire but one cat dead and another taken to RSPCA
The first floor flat has been left damaged by smoke
A flat fire in Northampton has left one cat dead and another in the hands of the RSPCA
Crews from Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to Millhouse Court in Byfield Road, St James today (May 18) at just after 2pm.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze and nobody was injured, however one cat died, another was taken to the RSPCA and a first floor flat was left damaged by the smoke.
From initial indications, it is believed the cause of the fire was accidental.
A spokesman for the fire service said: "Crews from Mereway, The Mounts and Moulton were called to reports of a fire at Millhouse Court on Byfield Road, Northampton, at 2.11pm.
"Firefighters used breathing apparatus, PPV fans, a thermal imaging camera and a hose reel jet to bring the flames under control.
"No people were injured during the incident, but two cats were present in the flat.
"One was rescued by the fire service and taken to the RSPCA, while sadly the second cat died.
"The kitchen in the first floor flat was severely damaged by the fire, while the rest of the property has been damaged by smoke.
"An after fire inspection is to be carried out later today to determine the exact cause, but the initial cause is believed to have been accidental."