Evil Northampton triple murderer WILL NOT be moved to open prison despite parole recommendation

The Secretary of State has the final say on prison moves and he has denied the request

Friday, 14th May 2021, 3:30 pm

An evil murderer who killed his wife and two children in Northampton will not be moved to an open prison.

Austin’s pleaded guilty and was sentenced in 2001 to three life sentences - 20 years in prison.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Philip Austin will not be moved to an open prison.

His two decades in prison were up last year and the Parole Board heard his case on April 9 this year.

The hearing concluded that Austin could be recommended for a move to an open prison, where he would be given more freedoms and be subject to less supervision.

A decision which left the victims’ family ‘disgusted’ that the man who took their loved ones away from them could be allowed more freedoms.

At the time of the release of the Parole Board conclusion, Carol Quinn, the mother and grandmother of Austin’s victims, told Chronicle & Echo: “I’m totally disgusted.

“We have no such thing as British justice in this country anymore.

“I can’t believe that he is a killer but he might be let into open prison, which is the next best thing to being released, after only 20 years."

However, following the recommendation, the Secretary of State has now made the decision that Austin will not be allowed to move to an open prison.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said: “Upon careful consideration of all the evidence, including the Parole Board recommendation, the Lord Chancellor has decided not to move Phillip Austin to open conditions.”

Although Austin will remain in a high category prison, the victims’ family is still campaigning for a life sentence ‘to mean life’.

Carol set up an online petition in a bid to get the Government to reconsider the meaning of a ‘life sentence’ and is hoping the petition can still gain traction. It can be found here.