Northamptonshire Police launched an appeal for information yesterday (June 29) following a recent Facebook post that has reportedly seen dozens of Northampton woman sharing allegations of abuse by older men when they were teenagers.
Today (Tuesday), police told the Chronicle & Echo that "a number" of people have now come forward in response to the appeal that originated in Abington Street at the 'Cobblers Last' statue.
Detective Inspector Liz Basham, said: “First of all I would like to thank all of the people who have come forward with their stories since our appeal was issued yesterday – the courage it takes survivors of sexual abuse to contact the police cannot be underestimated.
“A dedicated incident number has been set up for this case with a team of detectives going through all the accounts received so far. Please be assured that if we are yet to contact you, we will in due course as calls are worked through.
“I also need to take this opportunity to remind people not to publicly share the names of any suspects or specific details of any offences as this could undermine any future court cases.
"We know this request may be frustrating but we need people to be aware that any information shared in this way is disclosable during any future court process and may undermine the case as a whole.”
Anyone who has been a victim of sexual abuse is encouraged to contact police on 101 and if it relates to this case, please quote incident number 542 of 27/06/20.