David Brickwood trial: Dying Northampton scrap dealer told police 'there was two' at scene of attack

A London man is currently standing trial charged with his murder. A second suspect has never been identified.

Wednesday, 21st April 2021, 7:55 am
Updated Wednesday, 21st April 2021, 7:56 am

David Brickwood used some of his final words to tell police "there was two" attackers who broke into his Northampton house and murdered him.

A trial has begun over the unsolved killing of David Brickwood, who was stabbed to death at his Lindsay Avenue home on September 26, 2015.

Cameron St Rose, 26, of Forest Gate, London, is charged with allegedly breaking into the Abington house and murdering him in a botched burglary for cash hidden in the property.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Popular Northampton scrap dealer David Brickwood told police there had been two attackers in his home. He died shortly after.
Popular Northampton scrap dealer David Brickwood told police there had been two attackers in his home. He died shortly after.

But at Birmingham Crown Court heard yesterday (April 20), a prosecutor set out that the alleged fatal attack was also carried out by a second yet-unknown intruder - with a key piece of evidence being the last words of Mr Brickwood himself.

"Shortly after 2am on September 26, Mr Brickwood made a 999 call," prosecutor Mr Peter Grieves-Smith QC told the jury. "He was able to say the word 'police' but was unable to say anything else."

The popular 74-year-old grandfather suffered 34 injuries prior to his death, including several stab wounds.

When police arrived at the home minutes later, an injured Mr Brickwood was stood at a ground floor window.

Mr Brickwood, a grandfather of 10, was described as "very popular" and "a pillar of the Abington community".

"Police couldn't understand what he was saying. The front door was locked, so they climbed through an open window," said Mr Greives-Smith.

"Bodyworn camera footage from this officer shows the officer speaking with Mr Brickwood, who had fallen to the floor.

"The officer asked questions such as 'do you know who did this to you' and 'what happened'.

"Mr Brickwood said: 'There was two'."

The 74-year-old grandfather died soon after in Northampton General Hospital of heart failure brought on by his injuries.

The prosecutor says the brutal attack was allegedly carried out by St Rose and an another unknown attacker who targeted Mr Brickwood because he was known to keep large quantities of cash in the house.

In fact, when police search the property after the murder, they found £60,000 stashed across the home. The intruders had also reportedly flipped his mattress out of its bed frame in their search for money.

It is alleged that St Rose and the supposed accomplice entered the home by removing the glass from a window frame on the ground floor and murdered him before searching the house for the cash. They reportedly left the scene empty handed.

The court heard how there are no eyewitnesses to the events of September 26, 2015. A neighbour told reportedly police they heard a distressed Mr Brickwood say "it isn't here" and "call the police" around the time of the attack, but did not act on it.

St Rose denies both charges of burglary and murder.

The trial continues.

Read More

Read More
David Brickwood trial: DNA found on rubber from window pane is 'heart of the cas...