David Brickwood trial: Defendant's DNA found on window seal at scene of Northampton murder

Cameron St Rose is accused of leaving his DNA at the scene when he removed the glass from a ground floor window and climbed in.

Monday, 26th April 2021, 2:33 pm
Updated Monday, 26th April 2021, 2:34 pm
A man accused of murdering Northampton's David Brickwood allegedly left his DNA at the scene.

DNA from the man accused of murdering Northampton’s David Brickwood in an alleged break-in was found at the scene of the crime, a court has heard.

David Brickwood was stabbed to death at his home in Lindsay Avenue in a late night attack on September 26, 2015.

At Birmingham Crown Court today (April 26), a jury heard how the DNA of a man now accused of the killing was found at the house.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Cameron St Rose, 26, of Bristol Road, Forest Gate, is charged with breaking into the Abington home by entirely removing the glass pane from a downstairs window before climbing in and attacking the 74-year-old grandfather.

But in the process, the rubber seal around the window came loose and fell on a garden ornament.

Today, the jury heard when officers tested this seal, they had a positive match for St Rose’s DNA.

Forensic scientist Jamie Burke told the court that it was a “one-in-a-billion” chance that the DNA profile belonged to anyone other than the 26-year-old defendant.

In cross-examination, St Rose’s defence barrister Mr Timothy John Maloney argued the DNA did not conclusively prove St Rose was at the scene.

“For example,” Mr Maloney asked the forensic scientist. “If I were to say someone might have been wearing a pair of gloves that might have been worn by Cameron St Roseat some point - could that have left a DNA profile?”

Mr Burke replied: “I would need more information on how long Cameron St Rose had been wearing them.”

The defence barrister also asked if the DNA proves that the 26-year-old would have had to have left the DNA there directly or through “secondary” transmission, where his DNA on something else is transferred onto the window seal.

Mr Burke said: “It’s impossible to work back from the DNA and say how it was left there.”

Police in fact found at least two DNA profiles when they examined the rubber seal.

Evidence in the case - including some of Mr Brickwood’s last words - show there were at least two intruders on the night of the attack.

It is the prosecution’s case that St Rose and a yet unidentified accomplice broke into the Lindsay Avenue home in search of cash, which Mr Brickwood was known to keep in the house.

When officers searched the property after the murder, they found £60,000 stashed across the home.

St Rose as denied all charges and the trial continues.