Banned driver jailed for abusing train staff during trip from Northampton to Manchester

Magistrates heard how the 22-year-old only had a ticket to go one stop

Thursday, 20th May 2021, 12:02 pm
Mosdell planned to travel from Northampton to Manchester — but rowed with a ticket inspector after only having a ticket to Wolverton.

A Northampton man tried to travel to Manchester by train after buying a ticket to Wolverton just hours after being stopped for driving while disqualified.

Colin Mosdell got into a row with a ticket inspector on board the train which ended with him appearing back at Northampton Magistrates Court for the second time in a fortnight.

Mosdell, 35, was jailed for 22 weeks for a number of driving offences on May 8 and admitted using threatening or abusive words or behaviour when he appeared at court on Wednesday (May 19) via a video link from prison.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But magistrates agreed his latest offence of assaulting the train manager should have been dealt with at the same time as others and did not extend the overall length of his time behind bars, ruling a four-week sentence should run concurrently.

Mosdell, of Billing Road, Northampton, told the court he was "truly, truly sorry" for berating the London Northwestern Railway manager who ordered him off the next stop.

He said: "That's not me, that's not who I am."

Prosecuting, Jackie Knights, told the court Mosdell had become very angry and gone nose-to-nose with the manager while not wearing a mask during the row on September 28 last year.

He admitted planning to travel from Northampton to see family in Manchester, travelling via Milton Keynes. But he had only bought a ticket to Wolverton — just one stop down the line to London from Castle station.

Mosdell was ordered to pay £150 compensation to the train manager plus a further £85 prosecution costs and £128 surcharge to fund victim services.

The incident came on the same day that Mosdell had been stopped driving while disqualified in the early hours of the morning in St George's Street, while he was already on a suspended sentence for a similar offence since October 2020.