Rugby round-up: Tows celebrate as Windsor pay penalty

Scouts v Lutterworth at Rushmere Road (pictures: Dave Ikin)
Scouts v Lutterworth at Rushmere Road (pictures: Dave Ikin)

A missed penalty with the last kick of the game ensured Towcestrians won a breathless promotion encounter at Windsor on Saturday.

It was second-versus-third in the shadow of Windsor Castle, and Tows claimed the narrowest of wins.

Windsor opened the scoring with a penalty, but Tows replied through their forwards who drove a lineout from the five-metre line, Fen Gallagher dotted down, Falvey converted.

The game was an end-to-end affair but an overthrow at a lineout saw the Windsor fly-half pick up and run at the Tows line, and Davies dived over from a scrum for a half-time score of 10-7 to Windsor.

In the second half, Tows took the game to Windsor, in spite of full-back Falvey having to come in at scrum-half for the injured Ronnie Speakman.

His quick tap penalty led to a try from Matt Yuill, which Falvey again converted to see Tows 14-10 in front.

A period of attacking prowess followed from Tows, as Falvey dived in from short range, shortly followed by Tom George’s run from 30 yards. Falvey’s excellent kicking display continued and Tows looked home and dry as they led 26-14.

Windsor looked to be finished, but proved otherwise, Tows failed to clear their lines and after pressure Windsor scored, the conversion lifting the home support.

Now with their tails up, Windsor took the game to Tows, centre Patrick Birch crashing over. The successful kick meant that Tows were only 26-24 ahead.

Tows’ forwards now had to protect the ball and just let the clock keep ticking over. A poor decision to kick to touch came back to haunt the visitors as Windsor broke out and won a penalty on halfway. With the ground hushed the ball was kicked slightly wide of the posts, giving Tows the narrowest of wins.

Tows IIs were also involved in a tight game at Old Northamptonians IIs as they went down 19-17, while Towcestrians Colts were beaten 24-12 by Buckingham Colts.

Stamford IIs 77 Heathens 7

Heathens were on the wrong end of a heavy defeat as they lost 77-7 at Stamford IIs in the Youngs Bitter Merit Table.

Once again the match was ruined by the opposition’s inability to field a front row (an ongoing malaise that has marred the majority of this season’s games), and while this did not affect the result, there would most certainly have been a different scoreline.

The Romany-based Heathens showed exceptional spirit throughout and made some extensive inroads into the hosts’ defence with some constructive driving play right to the final whistle.

However they were unable to maintain the momentum generated and frequently turned over possession that allowed the swift and exceptionally good handling Stamford backline to run the ball back at the visitors with good effect.

Heathens’ determination and spirit was reflected by the attitude displayed throughout by centre Mark Allison which earned him the man of match award from his team mates.

Playing against wind and slope in the first half, Heathens found themselves 31-0 down at the break.

Stamford continued to dominate in the second half and ran in a further eight tries, while Heathens’ sole effort was scored by Richard Williams, with Ash Brown converting.

Old Northamptonians 43 Spalding 5

ONs chalked up their 18th league win of the season on Saturday with this demolition of rock-bottom Spalding.

The Billing Road side had secured a try bonus and also reached 800 points for the season by half-time when they led 24-0.

Three further tries in the third quarter gave them the opportunity to pass 50 points for the fourth time this season, but ‘white line fever’ took over as the game meandered to a close.

ONs scored with the first attack through Alex Tollan.

They scored their second when Phil Beaumont picked up from the base and Tom Goodman squeezed through a gap to touch down, and his conversion made it 12-0.

Crofts was next over when he found space around the side of a maul to power over and he soon scored a second. Goodman converted one of them and ONs were 24-0 up.

Try number five came within a minute of the resumption through full-back Rory Seymour before Crofts bundled his way over to complete his hat-trick and register his 16th try of the season.

Spalding did score a try of their own, but the final say went to ONs with Goodman again darting through a gap and addding the two points to make it 43-5 with 20 minutes still to play. But there were no further scores.

ONs IIs beat Towcestrians IIs 19-17 with tries from Dan Spencer, Barry Adams and Jack White, who also added two conversions.

ONs IIIs were beaten 55-34 at Spalding IIs.

Old Scouts 41 Lutterworth 24

Scouts edged nearer to the league title with this bonus-point win against Lutterworth at Rushmere Road.

Playing into the wind in the first half, Scouts started the better and an Adam Frost penalty on five minutes made it 3-0, before the same player converted Dan Warren’s try to make it 10-0.

Lutterworth scored a converted try, before a Frost penalty made it 13-7 to Scouts.

Lutterworth hit back with another try to make it 13-12, before Dan McMurray dotted down. Frost’s conversion saw Scouts 20-12 to the good.

Again Lutterworth responded with a try, but Scouts had the final say before half-time, with Frost’s conversion of Roff’s try seeing them 27-17 ahead.

Scouts got their try bonus point early in the second half when McMurray scored, with Frost again adding the extras.

Alex McKie added Scouts’ fifth, Frost converting, and the home side were home and dry at 41-17, although Lutterworth did add a converted try.

Scouts travel to unbeaten Bridgnorth in the final of the RFU Midlands Intermediate Cup this weekend.

Scouts IIs and IIIs both travelled across town to BBOB and came back with victories.