Rugby: Daventry gearing up for Franklin’s Gardens final against ONs

Old Northamptonians in action against Bugbrooke at Billing Road
Old Northamptonians in action against Bugbrooke at Billing Road

Daventry head to Franklin’s Gardens on Tuesday night (April 21) as they face reigning champions Old Northamptonians in the Alliance Cup Final.

Daventry overcame Casuals 19-0 in a hard-fought semi-final to secure their first visit to the home of the Saints in nearly 10 years. The club has not reached the Alliance Cup final since the late 1990s.

MNCE - ONs RFC, Billing Road - men's rugby - Old Northamptonians v Bugbrooke'When'Sat 11 Apr 2015 15:00 �' 16:00 London NNL-151104-184731009

MNCE - ONs RFC, Billing Road - men's rugby - Old Northamptonians v Bugbrooke'When'Sat 11 Apr 2015 15:00 �' 16:00 London NNL-151104-184731009

ONs ply their trade two leagues above Midlands Three East South Daventry, and have won this competition for the past 12 years.

However Daventry travel in confident mood, having won their final league game of the season against Vipers.

The club is urging the town to get behind them and turn the Gardens black for the evening.

Captain Gareth Dudgeon said: “We want to put on a performance for the town, and a big crowd at such a fantastic stadium will inspire us.”

Daventry coach Toby Johnson said: “It’s a fantastic achievement to reach the final, but we want to go out there and achieve something special.”

Saturday saw the top two in the league go head to head in what was to be an enthralling contest with promotion on the line for Chippenham if they were to win.

Surprisingly, it was Tows’ scrum that was first to gain the upper hand but it took a stern defence to keep Chippenham at bay in the opening exchanges.

With both sides totally committed, the game turned into an even contest as the half progressed. Tows coped with the late withdrawal of four players, as the side’s Easter tour began to take its toll.

Tows’ fly-half picked up a yellow card but on his return to the field a looping pass was intercepted and so the home defence was breached. The missed conversion ended the half.

The second half started similar to the first as Chippenham laid siege to the Tows line. The home team refused to buckle, driving the visitors back for Tom George to touch down an adjudged double movement try.

A penalty from Chippenham’s Spanish fly-half gave their large travelling support a scent of victory, however Tows would not let the game go, Mark Yeates, running a crash ball off of a driving lineout, crashing over to set up a tense finish.

With kicker James Falvey absent, the kick at goal was missed.

Still Tows pushed for the win, forcing a mistake at the lineout as Chippenham over-threw the ball into Towcestrian hands and allowing them to break.

Full-back Matt Yuill was found in support to score far out to win the game.

Chippenham’s losing bonus point crowned them as league champions having played in a cracker of a game, hard but fair.

Old Scouts 10 Oadby Wyggestonians 53

Having already secured the Midlands Two East title, and forced with Lewis Shield commitments into having to play four games in 15 days, Scouts were not up for this game.

Other commitments rendered several players unavailable and it proved too much as, with the strong wind advantage, Wyggs hit Scouts from the kick-off.

James Dolman scored a try midway through a bout of scoring from the visitors which secured them a 39-5 lead at the break.

The second half was a much more competitive affair and Dan Warren ran in a try for Scouts.

Although the home side had plenty of chances to cross the line after this score, their execution was not up to their usual standard and eventually Wyggs managed two late scores.

Brackley IIs 69 Heathens 5

HEATHENS were on the wrong end of a loss in a friendly at Brackley, but the margin of defeat could have been substantially different had the match not been played with uncontested scrums.

The Heathens contingent were unhappy when they arrived for the game to learn that their opposition did not have a front row, an issue which they feel is becoming increasingly common in the sport.

Despite that, Heathens opened well enough and managed to retain sufficient possession for the initial 25 minutes to hold the score to 14-5.

Brackley scored their opening converted try on 11 minutes against the run of play and followed it up seven minutes later with a second, again having enjoyed little of the ball and benefitting from Heathens’ inability to retain it, having done significant build-up work.

The Romany-based Heathens responded on 23 minutes with an unconverted try from scrum-half Marty Campbell having taken the scrum option from a penalty.

Heathens then began to run out of steam having been forced to pursue opponents, the majority of whom seemed more suited to roles in the three quarters with few traditional-sized forwards in evidence. The half concluded with three further Brackley converted tries, making the score 35-5 at the break.

The second half opened with Brackley securing a further five points on 45 minutes. The flow of scores was then stemmed until the 57th minute when Brackley registered a further converted try.

The floodgates then opened, leading to a convincing win for Brackley by 69 -5.

On Saturday, Heathens play at Daventry IIIs in their final fixture of the season.

OLNEY RFC have confirmed their annual sevens tournament will take place on Saturday, July 4, with several competitions open for entries.

The main Brakspear Mens Open tournament has a cash prize of £500 to the winning team, with a £250 prize for the runners-up.

The social tournament is aimed at players who are mainly over 30 or play in lower club or work sides.

The day includes at least three pool games for each side and various competitions for entered teams with complimentary gifts and overnight camping facilities.

Players are permitted the use of the club showers and other facilities.

Entry is free for supporters and there will be a live band and a hog roast in the evening.

Contact Dave Smith on 07778 678447 to book your team in.