MEN’S RUGBY: Towcestrians return to form as Buzzard are beaten

ON THE RUN - action from Long Buckby's win over Daventry (Pictures: Dave Ikin)
ON THE RUN - action from Long Buckby's win over Daventry (Pictures: Dave Ikin)

After the previous week’s surprise defeat to Salisbury, Towcestrians showed they had learned their lesson as they breezed past Leighton Buzzard 32-10at Greens Norton Road.

Pepe Nanci scored the home side’s first try of the game and a penalty from Scott Browne extended the lead to eight points.

But Buzzard replied with a try from their No.8 and they soon scored again after Liam Wilkinson was sin binned.

Tows’ Alex Chalcraft responded in the second half, showing his pace to win the chase to touchdown for a try.

And it then became the visitors’ turn to go down to 14 men after their No.8 was binned.

The depleted Buzzard pack couldn’t hold out and Sam Sturley crashed over, with Browne converting.

Tows then put together the best move of the match, with good hands moving the ball left into space for centre Nanci to ghost up on the inside for his second try.

That brought the bonus point and with Buzzard’s No.8 collecting a second yellow, Wilkinson rounded things off by outpacing the cover out wide to score.

Meanwhile, Tows IIs picked up another big win in the pool against Coventry side Pinley, while the IIIs narrowly lost to Buzzard IIs, 22-17.

The Colts, struggling for backs, lost to Market Harborough.

Old Northamptonians 33

Syston 38

Old Northamptonians just missed out on claiming an impressive victory as Syston secured a narrow home win.

ONs took the lead when Tim Cardall charged down a kick to touch down and Rory Seymour added a penalty.

Syston replied through Ben Skeritt, but Seymour added his second penalty soon after.

The home side lost a player to the bin before Kieran O’Connor scored for ONs, but an Ian Smith try and five points from the boot of James Morgan narrowed the gap to a point.

Syston were back down to 14 men when another player offended, and ONs took advantage through a Jake Spencer score.

ONs were 21-15 up at the break and after Morgan had reduced the deficit with a penalty, Seymour scored the bonus-point try.

But Syston No.8 Adam Davies replied with a score of his own and Morgan’s conversion meant there was just a point in it.

A third yellow card didn’t affect the hosts and when they were restored to a full complement they took the lead for the first time, through an Adam Nunney try.

Morgan converted and Nunney added a penalty before Aaron Cort breathed life into the ONs bid with a try, and James Grayson converted.

But after O’Connor was yellow carded, Morgan landed a drop goal to secure the win for the home side.

Meanwhile, Old Northamptonians IIs beat Syston IIs 19-13 thanks to a double from Drew Hudson and one from Simon Portwain. Ben Dawson added two conversions.

Old Northamptonians IVs were edged out by Olney IIIs, losing 21-19.

Scouts 32

Market Raisen & Louth 24

Scouts secured a fully-deserved home win, denying their opponents a losing bonus point with a last-gasp Adam Frost penalty.

Dean Lake dived over in the corner for Scouts’ try before Sam French saw off two tacklers to dot down.

Liam Hancock then raced through to give the home side a 19-0 lead.

Smart handling allowed Glyn Roff to make inroads before Lake went over for his second of the afternoon and Scouts’ try bonus point.

Frost converted and increased the lead with a penalty soon after.

Rasen pulled back a converted try after the break and then caught Scouts out, scoring again to narrow the gap to a single score.

But Scouts held out for a hard-fought first win with Frost slotting a penalty at the death to deny Rasen a losing bonus point.

Meanwhile, Scouts IIs followed up their victory over ONs the previous week with a convincing 59-16 win against Bletchley, while the Vs made their first appearance of the season, away to Bugbrooke, and came away with a victory.

Scouts U18s put in a tough shift against a powerful Hinckley outfit but were knocked out of the National Colts Cup.

Melton Mowbray 59

Olney 14

RICH COWAN scored nine points, but it wasn’t enough to save Olney from a big defeat.

Charlie Harris and Cowan dotted down in the second half, but Olney were beaten.

Long Buckby 20

Daventry 18

LONG Buckby claimed the honours in the big derby game at Station Road.

A tight game went the way of the hosts.