MEN’S RUGBY: Super Towcestrians thrash title rivals Maidenhead

FLYING TACKLE - action from the friendly between Long Buckby and Wellingborough at Station Road (Pictures: Dave Ikin)
FLYING TACKLE - action from the friendly between Long Buckby and Wellingborough at Station Road (Pictures: Dave Ikin)

Towcestrians produced a fantastic display of dominant running rugby to dismantle a Maidenhead team that had initially looked a tough proposition 41-8.

Both teams came into the game having won six of their eight games, but Maidenhead were simply no match for the inspired Tows.

The away side did go ahead through an early penalty, but Tows scored the game’s first try, through Matt Yuill.

Having only been 5-3 up at half-time, Tows sprung into life in the second period, with Murray Aitchison getting the ball rolling.

Joe Threlfall then added a third try before James Falvey, who had kicked two earlier conversions, and Craig Holton also dotted down.

Maidenhead did manage to grab a consolation score, but Yuon Skelton put the icing on the Tows cake, with Falvey converting to complete a superb success.

Tows IIs continued their winning ways, returning from Newbold on Avon with a 29-7 victory.

Tows IIIs made the long trip to play Spalding IIs and came away with a terrific 27-15 win.

The Colts rounded off a great weekend for the club, winning 24-17 at Old Leamingtonians.

Old Northamptonians 25

Bromsgrove 18

Old Northamptonians put in their best display of the season as they defeated Bromsgrove.

After an early Alex Rose penalty attempt was wide, ONs and Bromsgrove traded tries, with Lewis Barker going over for the former and Greg Campion for the latter.

While Bromsgrove failed to convert their effort, ONs did, thanks to Alex Rose.

But they weren’t ahead for long, with Richard Mahony’s penalty putting Bromsgrove in front.

Mike Bellamy edged ONs back in front with a try created by Rose, but Mahony soon landed a penalty with Jordan Finlayson-Green in the sin bin.

Rose replied with a kick from 30 metres, but in a topsy-turvy encounter Bromsgrove moved into an 18-15 lead thanks to an Ed Seymour try and a Mahony conversion.

ONs refused to be disheartened and fought back after the break, with Bromsgrove soon finding themselves reduced to 14 men thanks to a yellow card.

Jake Spencer finally made the pressure pay as he went over, with Rose’s conversion earning a 22-18 lead.

And Rose finished things off, pushing a penalty through the posts to secure a fine success.

This weekend, the ONs meet unbeaten league leaders Hinckley at Billing Road with a 2.15pm kick off.

Oundle 31

Heathens 0

A lack of availability and injuries made Heathens task a tough one - and they were comfortably beaten by Oundle.

Oundle took advantage of some initial hesitation in the Heathens defence and scored their opening points after only two minutes with a converted try.

The Oundle lead was doubled five minutes later when a possible blocking run allowed them in for a second converted score.

Heathens then settled with improved communication and coordination and kept Oundle at bay until the 33rd minute, when a careless hack through gifted possession to the hosts.

It was 21-0 at half-time and Heathens battled to keep the score down after the break, shipping just two more tries on a difficult day.

The match featured a brave defensive showing from young winger Rory Evans-Beale, who put in a man of the match performance.

This Saturday, Heathens look to change their fortunes when they are again in merit table action, entertaining Corby on The Racecourse with a 2.15pm kick off.

Rushden and Higham 20

Olney 25

OLNEY were made to battle all the way for this win at Rushden.

Playing into the wind in the first half, Olney held their own and took the lead five minutes before the break through a try from Noddy Deighton after excellent work from James Hawken, Charlie Belcher and Gavin Robertson.

The conversion was missed, and Rushden landed a penalty to make the score 5-3 at half-time.

Olney started the second half well and extended their lead to 12-3 when Phil Bowden’s try was converted by Hawken.

It was 17-3 moments later when James Padfield scored straight from the restart.

Rushden hit back with a try to make it 17-8 before 
Olney replied with a try for Cowan to take the lead back to 22-8.

The home side refused to lie down and scored a converted try to close in at 22-15, but a Hawken penalty made the gap 10 points again.

Rushden still wouldn’t give up, and they added another try late on to complete the scoring.