MEN’S RUGBY: Buckby make Old Scouts battle for semi spot

Action from Old Northamptonians IIs against Hinckley (Pictures: Dave Ikin)
Action from Old Northamptonians IIs against Hinckley (Pictures: Dave Ikin)

Although there are two leagues difference between the clubs, Old Scouts were made to battle for this Alliance Cup quarter-final victory over Long Buckby, winning 47-21.

A minute’s silence was held before the game as a tribute to Long Buckby stalwart Philip Osborne who had passed away during the week.

Buckby missed an early penalty chance to take the lead and Scouts soon capitalised. Winger George Barrett ran from inside his own half and drew the last man to 
put full back Dean Lake over the line for Adam Frost to convert.

This was soon followed by a try for Luke Reeves, which again Frost converted, and it was 14-0.

Buckby hit back with a converted try to make it 14-7, but Scouts responded with a try from Emilio Giron-Walsh, which was converted by 
Frost, and another five-pointer from Iain Simmons, which saw Scouts open up a 26-7 

That lead was extended early in the second half when a storming run out of his own half from Jordan Dolman released quick ball and prop Giron-Walsh ran in.

Scouts seemed to switch off at this point, and Buckby scored their second converted try, but the visitors put the game beyond doubt with tries from Chris Hillery and Frost, with Frost converting both, to make it 47-14 .

Buckby gained a consolation try with the last move of the game when Scouts needlessly kept the ball in play and it was pounced on over the line.

Scouts will play Bugbrooke or Boys Brigade Old Boys in the semi-finals.

Scouts IIs hosted Towcestrians IIIs in an Eagle IPA Merit Table Fixture and drew 29-29.

Berkhamsted 26 Heathens 36

Heathens travelled with minimal numbers and showing a number of positional changes for this friendly encounter in Hertfordshire.

But the away side took the lead as Dan Stonehouse powered over, and Mark Allison added a second score.

That was to be the end of Heathens scoring for some time as Berkhamsted immediately responded with two quick scores.

A converted Berkhamsted try saw them conclude a run of 21 unanswered points, leading 21-10.

However, the game continued to ebb and flow and two rapid tries from Mark Evans, playing out of position at hooker, and a conversion by Vio Marin saw them saw them retake the lead at 22-21.

Berkhamsted retook the lead with a well-worked try in the final 10 minutes.

However, the pressure began to tell and Heathens pulled ahead when Stonehouse pounced on a poor clearance kick for a try that was converted by Marin.

The final score of the game fittingly came from Heathens man of match Ben Jackson.

This Saturday, Heathens return to Youngs Bitter merit table action when they host local rivals BBOB at home on the Racecourse, with a 3pm kick-off.

Towcestrians 72 Mens Own 12

Towcestrians eased through in the Lewis Shield thanks to a big win against a Mens Own side who never gave up and tackled to the end.

Tows’ depth of squad proved too much for Own, with James Hale running in three tries from full-back.

Hooker Fenn Galagher crossed for a double, while Alex Chalcraft, Murray Aitchison, Sam Neill, Thorne Gladwin and Kris Ancil all added singles.

Tows IIs faced a very tough assignment against the second string of National League side Nuneaton, going down after conceding five tries.

Tows IIIs collected a well earned, bonus-point 29-29 draw against Old Scouts IIs 29 – 29, with tries from Dave Wright, Nathan Payne, Richard Carter, Ryan Blackwell and Jim Wallis.

Chris Davies kept cool to slot the important final conversion for the draw.