UCL round-up: Sileby Rangers move three points clear of drop zone

Bugbrooke manager Colin Cooper was a happy man after his side recorded a 4-2 win over Whitworth
Bugbrooke manager Colin Cooper was a happy man after his side recorded a 4-2 win over Whitworth

Sileby Rangers rounded off a big week with a second successive win to move three points clear of the drop zone.

Simon King scored the winner as Rangers hit back to win 3-2 at Sleaford.

A confident finish from the returning Harry Millard saw Sleaford take an 11th-minute lead.

Stuart McMichael equalised for Rangers after 32 minutes, rounding the keeper to slot home.

The home were back in front after 58 minutes, the in form Liam Tunstall converting Euan Clarke’s lay off.

Mohammed Hussein scored a second Sileby leveller after 76 minutes and King latched on to a long ball after 85 minutes to give the visitors all three points.

A dominant second half display saw Deeping maintain their good run of form with a 3-1 home win over Long Buckby.

Buckby competed well in the first half and had chances to take an early lead. Nkosi Mzungwana collected a return pass from Muzi Nduna-Ndlovu but was unable to get his shot away and then Elliott Herbert was at full stretch to shoot wide after Ed Kostiuk’s free-kick was flicked on by Mzungwana.

When Deeping replied Jordan Avis had a shot blocked and Jezz Goldson-Williams retrieved the loose ball and cross for Tom Smith to volley over at the far post.

Just past the half hour home striker Justin McKenzie and visiting defender Spencer Tinkler were dismissed following an off the ball incident.

Ben Lewis was twice close from distance for Deeping while late home chances saw Danny Bircham tip away Kostiuk’s free kick and Nduna-Ndlovu beat Bircham to a Nathan Liburd through ball only for the ball to drop wide of the target.

Deeping took charge at the start of the second half with interval sub Matt Carter thwarted by keeper Oliver Manuel after intercepting a wayward back pass.

On the hour Bircham’s point blank saved denied Ryan Merrey a set piece headed opener, but within a minute Rangers were ahead as Goldson-Williams beat two defenders before slotting past Manuel.

Goldson-Williams was wide from a Jordan Avis through ball but when the pair combined again on 70 minutes the striker made no mistake to fire home.

Bircham’s fingertip save denied Mzungwana as he raced onto Nduna-Ndlovu’s through pass, but Deeping were soon hunting for more goals.

Avis struck the post from range before Goldson-Williams completed his hat trick from a Smith left wing delivery on 80 minutes.

On 89 minutes Herbert’s far post volley gave Buckby a consolation.

Right at the death Michael Yeates’ foul on Mohammed Hamid, but Manuel went full length to turn away Dan Flack’s spot kick.

Cogenhoe United were held to a goalless draw by Harrowby.

It was the first scoreless stalemate for either side this season, and a fifth blank in seven matches for the visitors.

In division one, mid-table Bugbrooke put a spoke in the wheels of title-chasing Whitworth with a 4-2 win at the Victoria Mill Ground.

The Badgers took the initiative from the start with a third minute opener from Ryan Ansell and Jake Cayton follow up five minutes later.

Deven Ellwood cut the deficit a minute before half-time.

Matt Johnson restored Bugbrooke’s two-goal margin three minutes into the second half.

Cavell Jarvis again closed the gap for the Flourmen on 70 minutes.

The contest was put beyond Whitworth by Ansell’s 16th goal of the campaign nine minutes later.

Athletic missed the chance to make inroads into Spencer’s lead at the top of division one as they were held at mid-table Woodford United.

Dom Ivens had the Leicestershire visitors in front at the break with a 40th minute goal.

Ben Foster levelled for the Reds a minute past the hour.

Woodford took a 68th-minute lead through Adam Creaney, but Lutterworth were on terms two minutes later through top scorer Danny Laywood.

Olney Town ran out comfortable 4-0 winners against their bottom of the table Stewarts & Lloyds at East Street.

Sam O’Neill continued his good form with the home opener after 17 minutes with Drew Mitten doubling the lead six minutes later.

Aaron Murrell doubled the home tally in the second half scoring after 53 and 84 minutes.