UCL round-up: Sileby boost survival hopes with vital victory

Action from the UCL Division One clash between Bugbrooke and S&L (pictures: Dave Ikin)
Action from the UCL Division One clash between Bugbrooke and S&L (pictures: Dave Ikin)

Two goals from the returning Michael Byrne saw Sileby Rangers see off Sleaford as they took a big step to maintaining top flight status.

Dominic Okanu opened the Sileby account eleven minutes in only for Brad Hockin to haul the Greens on terms on the half hour.

Byrne put Rangers back in the lead four minutes before the break.

Kieran Helmsdown scored a second Sleaford equaliser from close range after 57 minutes.

Byrne’s second goal, a header with five minutes remaining, settled the contest in Sileby’s favour.

Yaxley’s outside title hopes were all but ended as Cogenhoe United completed a double with a 2-0 win at Compton Park.

The home side went in front 14 minutes in with a Ross Harris volley.

Alfie Taylor sealed the home success from the penalty spot 12 minutes from time.

The dismissal of influential midfielder Rob Hughes made it an afternoon to forget for the visitors.

Struggling Long Buckby are now 10 points adrift of safety following a 5-1 defeat at Wisbech.

Wisbech were quick out of the blocks with a Neal Spafford opener after two minutes and Danny Beaumonr effort six minutes later.

Massane Salumu scored a debut goal, the pick of the day, to put Buckby back in the hunt after 57 minutes.

The home side responded with goals from Matt Lunn on 66 minutes and Billy Smith on 70.

Beaumont completed the Wisbech nap hand four minutes from time.

In division one, Bugbrooke eased to a 4-0 win over S&L at Birds Close.

A single goal scored by Badgers defender Steve Botterill, a header from a corner five minutes in, was all that split the sides at the interval.

The Foundrymen had two players dismissed late in the first half.

Jake Cayton doubled the home advantage with a great goal in the first minute of the second half.

S&L’s nine men put up stern resistance thereafter.

Ryan Ansell doubled the Bugbrooke tally with goals after 63 and 72 minutes, taking his personal campaign tally to 19.

Manager Colin Cooper missed a late chance to add to the Badgers’ tally.

Title-chasing ON Chenecks were in fine form in front of goal as they inflicted a 6-2 defeat on Buckingham Town.

Montel Dore made the 18th-minute breakthrough for the home side.

Further goals from George Clarke after 25 minutes and Adam Hancock 10 minutes later left Chenecks in control.

Buckingham replied after 42 minutes through Brandon Graham.

Dore scored after 51 and 61 minutes to complete his hat trick.

Mitch Brent replied for the Robins after 70 minutes.

Adam Spalding completed the home tally four minutes later.

Spencer had to dig deep to main their long unbeaten run as they drew 2-2 with Whitworth at Kingsthorpe Mill.

Defender James Gorman gave Whitworth a 21st-minute lead.

Top scorer Ryan Lovell equalised for Spencer a minute past the half hour mark.

The Flourmen’s lead was restored by Remy Brittain five minutes later.

Just eight minutes remained when Ryan Dove’s goal made it 17 games undefeated for the Millers.

Thrapston scored three second-half goals as they secured a 3-0 win over Woodford United.

Dan Bucciero made the home breakthrough in the first minute of the second period.

Jack Wisniewski added a Thrapston second after 55 minutes.

Stef Gatting rounded off the home success seven minutes past the hour mark.