NENE SUNDAY LEAGUE: Emery hat-trick secures Trophy success for Gardeners

Wes Emery rattled in a hat-trick as Gardeners Arms secured an excellent 4-1 win at Peterborough Halcyon to ease into the next round of the NFA Sunday Trophy. Luke Holden added the fourth.

Friday, 11th November 2016, 2:53 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:51 pm
ON THE SLIDE - action from Swan & Helmet's 7-0 defeat to Sun Hardingstone (Pictures: Dave Ikin)

In the NFA Sunday Shield, Spring Park are through to the quarter-finals after they hammered Peterborough Athletic 11-2.

Jack Clark was the star with five goals, while there were two apiece for Liam Clark and Sam Ruppal, with singles from Steven Smith and Carl White.

Nomads of Barratts are also in the last eight after they thumped Combination side AFC Hackleton Reserves 8-2. There were doubles for Calum Hope, Andy Munday and Tom Bluck, one for Lewis Savage and an own goal.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Two goals from Marc Hall and one for Brad Hill wasn’t enough for Oakley Diamonds as they went out on penalties to Peterborough Windmill West Town after a 3-3 draw, while Sixfields Rangers went down 3-2 at home to Squizzas FC despite efforts from Andrew Shaw and Connor Leason.

Also out are Real Roochers, with Joe Corkram’s goal a mere consolation in their 3-1 loss to Northampton Dons.

In the NTFA Chronicle & Echo Cup, Hartwell Forest saw off Thorplands Club 81 Reserves 5-1 thanks to Ben Carter (2), Ricky Reeve (2) and Marc Thorp, while Spartak Reserves recovered from going 3-0 down to Bat & Wickets to win 4-3.

Joe Goff (2) and Matt Brown looked to have put Bat in control, but Aaron Crampton’s double and goals from Liam Harris and Rhys Taylor won it for Spartak.

Mill Park were penalty shootout winners over Monks Park, and Pitsford Rangers also saw their tie with Eastern Eagles go to penalties after a double from Joe Merrill was enough to send the match to spot kicks after it finished at 2-2. In the shootout Pitsford progressed winning by 5-4.

Sixfields Rangers Reserves are out after losing 4-1 to FC Phoenix, Jake Varley scoring Sixfields goal and Swan & Helmet had a day to forget as they also made an exit, losing 7-0 to Hardingstone Sun.

In the Premier Division, Queens Park remain at the top of the table with a 3-1 victory at Juventus Tigers.

Two goals from Fabian Brown and another from Mark Faulkner gave the visitors a 3-0 lead before the Tigers pulled a goal back through Jack Winkel.

Harpole returned to winning ways after a 6-2 home win over Denton. Adam Dillet, Oliver Anderson, Luke Tolworthy and Matthew Broomes all scored once and Tommy Waldock twice for Harpole. Lewis Smith and Aiden Machardie were the Denton scorers.

At Acre Lane, AFC Brampton took a first half lead through Matt Barron with an excellent finish, however they could not hold on for the win as Norteles found an equaliser through Chris Doran with 15 minutes left to make it 1-1.

Another match to end up all square was the game between Welland Valley Panthers and AC Squirrels who finished up with a 2-2 draw.

Simon Barby and Josh Barby both netted for the Panthers and Liam Davies along with Daniel Gray both struck for the Squirrels.

In the Championship, AFC Trinity are now seven points clear at the top of after a 4-2 win at Parklands Phoenix.

Blake Dooley gave Trinity a half-time lead that was extended after the break with a goal from Dan Smith. Stuart Harman pulled a goal back for Phoenix only for Dan Smith to score again for Trinity.

Phoenix continued to make a game of it when Harman struck his second to reduce Trinity’s lead, however Jordan Kirton scored a fourth goal for the visitors to wrap up the game.

Bat & Wickets caused a shock as they won 4-3 at second placed Abington FC.

Two goals from Richard Dunkley and a single from Tyler George put the visitors 3-0 up at half-time. Abington responded after the restart with two goals from Calvin Budd and a goal from Shane Bouher to level at 3-3, but the Wickets side had the last word when a long range shot from Bradley York beat the keeper for a last minute winner.

Halse United are now in third place after a 4-2 win at Grendon Sapphires.

Shaun Melville opened the scoring for Sapphires to put them 1-0 up at half time. Halse then fought back with two goals from Adam Hilton and single strikes by Josh Menday and George Kingham. Lucian Stefuriac scored again for Sapphires but it was Halse who took the points.

Wootton Field Wanderers had a fine 5-0 win at Spartak FC thanks to a hat-trick from Sam Scarman and further goals by Jack Wright and Callum Beech.

The two basement sides played each other for the second week running, and on this occasion it was the home side AFC Obelisk who came out on top with a 8-1 victory over Kettering Ise Lodge.

The Kettering side took the lead through Seb Winstone, but then Obelisk took control with four goals from Nathan Bobowicz, two from Graeme Ahearn along with singles from Andrew Myers and Harry Burkill.

Dallington Falcons have moved up to third in League One after a 4-0 win over second-placed Albany Athletic.

Goalless at the break, Falcons then took charge in the second half with a brace by Richard Novak and goals from Aaron Higgs and Korran Villette.

At Kingsthorpe Mill, Northampton Sapphires got their first win of the season with a 5-1 victory over Jameeah FC thanks to goals from Gavin Vela, Ben Merriman, David Wellington, Isaac Teckman and Connor Botterill.

Saloom Saloom scored a consolation goal for Jameeah.