He knows ‘time is running out’, but Cobblers boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is confident he will further boost his striking options before the January transfer window closes at 11pm on Wednesday night.
The Town manager says is hoping there may be ‘good news’ before the end of business on Tuesday, as he strives to boost his attacking department to four players from the current three.
Chris Long, Alex Revell and new loan signing Boris Mathis are the three strikers at his disposal at the moment, and the Dutchman admits that’s not quite enough.
“We are working very hard to get that number to four,” said Hasselbaink at his Tuesday morning press conference.
“I can’t say a lot yet, but we are working at it and we are running out of time because tomorrow it is finished.
“But hopefully today we can have some good news.”
Hasselbaink is keen to increase striking numbers to give him more options, and to increase the competition for a starting place, as well as provide cover for possible future inuries.
“It is healthy for everybody to have competition, and it is just how football works,” said the Cobblers boss.
“You also get injuries, you get fatigue, you have matches Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday, where you have to freshen things up, and you need to have people available.”
The Cobblers have so far signed eight players in the January transfer window, and have allowed six to leave.