Cobblers set to make new signing as chairman Thomas reveals club have turned down offers for players
Cobblers chairman Kelvin Thomas has revealed the club have turned down offers for at least two players during the January transfer window.
Town have so far only done one bit of business during the month and that was to let Billy Waters join Newport County on loan for the rest of the season.
But while on the outside things may look quiet, behind the scenes Keith Curle and co have been busy trying to strengthen the squad and a new signing might be just around the corner.
"We've always said to Keith there'll be money available but when you get a windfall like from the FA Cup, of course there's a different view taken," Thomas told the Cobblers Show on BBC Radio Northampton.
"But we always said we'd invest in January and I know we've got one coming in, which should be in time for Tuesday, and hopefully we'll get another one or two before the end of the window."
As well as hoping to make new signings, it's also been important for the Cobblers to keep their key players away from the prying eyes of clubs in higher divisions.
"We've turned down offers for a couple of our players from higher clubs during this window," Thomas revealed.
"There's no pressure on Keith to sell and that's something we've done consistently in our time here because it's not always about who you bring in, it's who you keep at the club.
"We did it last summer (2018) when we backed the manager to keep a couple of high-profile, more expensive players.
"Those decisions didn't work out as well as we'd have liked and those players moved on but at least we're giving the manager the ability to do that.
"I think that's just as important as bringing players, even though we all like bringing players in."
Cobblers' hopes of adding to their squad have been boosted by around £650,000 in FA Cup prize money, though that doesn't necessarily make it easier to sign players.
Thomas continued: "Having more money doesn't change the fact this is a difficult window and Keith is adamant he won't bring the wrong character into the building - he'd rather stick with the current squad than sign the wrong character.
"The money isn't for us to spend. We back the manager and that's what we always do.
"Something we learned with Jimmy (Floyd Hasselbaink) during that January window was that we maybe didn't bring in the right type of players and it really disrupted things.
"Keith's been excellent. We've talked about it reasonably and he's not come to us banging out on the door.
"We've put a bid in for another player but I think we might miss out on him because he might go overseas, but those things happen."