This aerial photograph of Northampton, taken in around 1972, reveals the extent of demolition that had taken place in the heart of the town leaving large swathes of car parking space: Ladys Lane runs from left to right (west to east). 'In the far right hand corner is The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, surrounded by trees: top middle is the modern Carlsberg Brewery.

Looking Back: The changing face of Northampton town centre

From the mid-sixties on, Northampton town centre was transformed with a modernisation programme which set to replace older buildings with state-of-the-art offices, shops and roads.

On February 3 1965, Minister for Housing Richard Crossman announced that Northampton was to be one the new towns offering housing to people living in poor conditions in London. Northampton Development Corporation (NDC) marketed the town to people in over-crowded London and Birmingham. Established in 1968, Northampton Development Corporation spent £205m building new housing estates. In 1971, Northampton was home to 130,000 people; by 2012 the census recorded around 212,000 Northamptonians. To keep up with demands of the growing population, the town under-went a transformation. Out went pokey back-to-back streets, factory yards and muddled areas and in came super-modern new shopping centres, new estates, tower blocks and a programme of road widening.

The Cattle Market  in Cow Meadow - Beckets Park (seen at the top left) pictured  c.1965, now the site of Morrisons. The distinctive tower of All Saints' Church can be seen in the far distance.

5. Cattle Market

The Cattle Market in Cow Meadow - Beckets Park (seen at the top left) pictured c.1965, now the site of Morrisons. The distinctive tower of All Saints' Church can be seen in the far distance.
Buy a Photo
The Roadmender music venue in Lady's Lane pictured in the mid 1970s,  before  Broad Sreet (A508) was a dual carriageway. The Dalgleish-designed building opened in October 1940. Over the road can be seen the super-modern Mayorhold multi-storey car park.

6. Roadmender

The Roadmender music venue in Lady's Lane pictured in the mid 1970s, before Broad Sreet (A508) was a dual carriageway. The Dalgleish-designed building opened in October 1940. Over the road can be seen the super-modern Mayorhold multi-storey car park.
Buy a Photo
View more