Woman whose body was found in Edinburgh was last seen boarding train in Northampton

Saima Ahmed was last seen on a train travelling to Northampton
Saima Ahmed was last seen on a train travelling to Northampton

A woman whose body has been found in Edinburgh is believed to have boarded a train in Northampton on her way up to Scotland, police have said.

The body of 36-year-old Saima Ahmed were discovered in the Gogar area of Edinburgh on the afternoon of Saturday, January 9.

Saima Ahmed

Saima Ahmed

Saima, from Wembley, was reported missing by her family in August last year. Her death is currently being treated as unexplained.

Police Scotland have now launched a massive UK-wide appeal for information as they seek to unravel the mystery of her final hours.

Saima, who is described as around 5ft 5ins tall, of medium build and with shoulder length straight dark hair, is believed to have travelled up to Edinburgh by train on Sunday, August 30.

Police say she left her Oakington Manor Drive home at 8.30am, before being captured on CCTV on Wembley’s High Road at 9.57am, where she is thought to have withdrawn money from an ATM outside Natwest Bank.

At 10.08am, she was snapped on CCTV entering Wembley Central Railway Station alone, and just ten minutes later had boarded a London Overground service bound for Watford Junction.

Officers believe she got off the train at Watford Junction and boarded a service to Northampton at 11.06am, though they stress this is not confirmed.

Her exact route up to Edinburgh after this point remains unknown, but detectives say she may have travelled to Hemel Hempstead, Birmingham and then onto the Capital.

Saima was last seen wearing a dark long v-neck top, black trousers, black shoes and a black jacket.

In a desperate bid to piece together her last movements, police are calling on anyone who remembers Saima or who may have spoken to her to come forward.

Detective Chief Inspector Martin MacLean, head of crime operations for Edinburgh CID, said: “I have met personally with Saima Ahmed’s family and have passed my condolences to them at this tragic and extremely difficult time.

“I have given them a commitment that we are doing everything we can to establish why Saima travelled to Edinburgh and the exact circumstances that led to her death.

“At this stage of our inquiry we continue to treat Saima’s death as unexplained however there is no evidence of criminality as matters currently stand.

“Clearly there are a number of matters and facts we have yet to establish and it remains a mystery to Saima’s family why she travelled to Edinburgh.

“Today I am appealing to anyone who saw Saima on, or around, the 30th of August 2015 to please contact police immediately.

“As part of our ongoing investigation we continue to work closely with our colleagues in the various police forces across the UK where we believe Saima had travelled en route to Scotland and Edinburgh, including the Metropolitan Police Service and the British Transport Police.

“I urge any regular rail users who may have been on these services to please think carefully and to get in touch with Police Scotland on 101 if you remember or spoke with Saima.

“I also want to hear from anyone who saw her in Edinburgh, or who can help explain how she made her way to the Gogarstone Road area, whether by tram, train, taxi, private hire car or any other means.”