Weston Favell Shopping centre evacuated after smoke seen coming from escalator

editorial image

The Weston Favell Shopping Centre has been evacuated after a motor on one of the escalators overheated.

Centre manager Kevin Legg said all shoppers were evacuated from the centre as a precaution after smoke was seen coming from the escalator at about 4.30pm today (Tuesday).

Mr Legg said fire crews were called out to the shopping centre to make sure the scene was safe but he expected the centre to be back up to shoppers within 30 minutes.

He said: “We had a motor on one of the escalators overheat so we evacuated the centre as a precaution.

“We’ve got engineers coming out to fix the escalator.”