A customer at a McDonald’s in Northampton has spoken of his disgust after he bit into a burger to find it was completely raw in the middle.
Byron Thomas was with his stepdaughter Katie, 13, when he ordered the quarter pounder with cheese meal for £4.69 at the restaurant next to the Weston Favell Shopping Centre on Monday evening.
The 28-year-old took the burger back to his car but noticed a strange taste after he took his first bite.
He looked down and was sickened when he saw that apart from the light brown top layer, the rest of the meal was red raw.
Furious Byron stormed back in to the restaurant but said the manager only offered to cook him another burger.
The dad-of-two was then up from 4am on Tuesday being sick with suspected food poisoning.
Yesterday, Byron, who lives with his partner Gail Mooney, 36, criticised the fast food giant and vowed never to eat there again.
He said: “I was getting a bit of tea with my stepdaughter and I was in the car when I bit into it and thought it looked strange.
“Then I looked down and the outside was light brown but the rest of it inside was pure raw.
“I spat out what was in my mouth straight away, it was absolutely disgusting.
“I was up being sick at 4am the next morning and I am still being ill on and off now.
“I have Ulcerative Colitis so it doesn’t help my stomach when I am eating completely raw meat.
“We only pop to McDonald’s for a treat every now and then but there is no way me or any of my friends or family will ever be going there again.”
Byron, who works as a health and safety trainer on the railways, refused to give the raw burger back to the manager at the McDonald’s branch.
He is now planning on contacting his local environmental health officer to make an official complaint.
Byron, who has two sons Kenzie, three, and Kyson, six, and two stepdaughters Katie, 13, and Karley, 16, has also contacted McDonald’s’ head office.
He added: “I went straight back in there but the manager didn’t look too bothered.
“He just said ‘sorry I’ll cook you another burger’.
“But I refused to eat that and refused to give him the raw burger because he wanted to take it away.
“There were about 10 customers in the queue who just walked out when I showed them how disgusting it was.
“They couldn’t give me a refund because they had already messed up my order three times and given me my money back for that.
“The manager gave me head office’s number and I rang them but they said they couldn’t do anything until they had a report.”
A McDonald’s spokesperson said: “Food safety is our highest priority.
“We place great emphasis on quality control and follow rigorous standards in order to avoid any imperfections in our food.
“We are disappointed to hear of this experience and as soon as we were made aware of the incident, we launched a full investigation.
“We will be in touch with Mr Thomas once this is complete.”