A man who died in a house fire in Northampton has been described as a “decent person” who suffered a number of tragedies in his life.
Emergency services were called out to Rothersthorpe Road shortly after 12pm on Thursday after smoke was reported coming through windows and the chimney of a property.
Neighbours of the man - who has been named as Robert, also known as Bob - said people next door had to get quickly as smoke was coming in through the window and the adjoining wall was very hot.
Police confirmed today that a man’s body was found in the property. A spokesman said it was “too early” to say whether the death was suspicious.
Forensic work is still be carried out on the property today (Friday) and flowers have been left outside the front wall.
Neighbours said the man lived alone after his mother died of cancer several years ago.
Catherine Kirby said: “His mum died seven or eight years ago.
“He had a tragic life as his sister died in childbirth. He never got over that. I think his health declined in the last couple of years.
“He was a nice person, a decent person. It is just really sad that he did not have anyone.”
Claire Elliott, who lives in Rothersthorpe Road, said: “It is really sad that this can happen to somebody.
“I used to see him walking along the street.”