Lowest number of road deaths in Northamptonshire during 2011 since records began

editorial image

THE number of people killed on the county’s roads last year was the lowest since official records began.

There were 19 deaths on Northamptonshire’s roads during 2011, down from 24 in 2010 and continuing the downward trend of the past six years.

The drop represented a 21 per cent fall compared with 2010, and a 44 per cent decrease compared with 2009, when 34 people died.

It also represents a significant fall from as recently as 2006, when 74 people were killed.

Official records were first introduced in 1960 and the highest year total was in 1989, when 108 people were killed.

The latest figures come despite the county’s casualty reduction partnership being disbanded, leading to all 40 fixed speed cameras being switched off on April 1 last year.

In September, Northamptonshire Police said they have seen a three-fold increase in motorists breaking the speed limit since the cameras were turned off, but no increase in the number of people killed or seriously injured.

Deputy Chief Constable Suzette Davenport said: “One death on our roads is one too many and we must not forget that behind each statistic is a grieving family or someone coming to terms with a life-changing injury.

“We would urge all drivers and road users to think about their driving behaviour and help us to make Northamptonshire’s roads safer for everyone.”

Cllr Andre Gonzalez De Savage, county council cabinet member for public protection, said: “It is very good news that the number of deaths has fallen and this reflects the hard work of all the agencies involved in keeping our county roads safe.

“However, we should also remember that there are 19 families who have spent the festive period without their loved ones and we will continue to do all we can to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on our roads.”