RSPCA 'very concerned' for animal welfare over 'paracetamol-stuffed meat' in Northampton park

Vinial Tailor with his German Shepherd and rottweiler cross, Django pictured in Dallington Park.

The RSPCA has raised concerns over someone who may be deliberately trying to harm dogs in a Northampton park.

Vinial Tailor, 26 of Duston was walking his dog, Django in Dallington Park on Saturday morning (February 24) at about 9.30am when he spotted a piece of meat on the ground.

Vinial's Facebook post has been shared over 6,000 times. (Pictured: the meat found in Dallington Park).

He described the joint of meat - thought to be pork - as the same size as a chicken and stuffed with a "white, crushed powdery substance".

Mr Tailor said it is the first time that he had found anything like this in the park but he has read about similar incidents on social media.

"This made me furious and disgusted that somebody could do this,” he said.

"My dog is normally off the lead and I do not know how I found this before my dog did.

Vinial is urging dog walkers to be vigilant after finding suspicious meat in the park.

"He usually sniffs things out very quickly so we were very fortunate in this case."

Mr Tailor said three other dog owners were as shocked as he was.

None of them wanted to leave until the meat was disposed of so eventually, Mr Tailor had to use his gloves to get rid of it as there was nothing else to pick the meat up with.

A spokeswoman for the RSPCA said: "We are very concerned to hear that someone may be deliberately trying to harm dogs by leaving paracetamol in meat on the floor along a well-known dog-walking route in Northampton. Paracetamol contains an active ingredient called acetaminophen and can be toxic to dogs in large doses. Other animals are also susceptible, particularly cats.

Pictures: Kirsty Edmonds.

"Dogs are naturally very curious animals and are likely to be drawn to any food on the floor. We urge dog-walkers to be cautious when walking in the area and to keep a close eye on their dogs while out walking.

"If you believe your dog has ingested something toxic, contact your vets immediately and follow any advice that they give you.

"Anyone who has any information about this incident should contact us on 0300 1234 999."

More from News