RSPCA investigating after cat dies from anti-freeze poisoning in Wellingborough

An investigation has been launched after a cat died from anti-freeze poisoning in Wellingborough.

Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 9:41 am
Updated Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 11:42 am
The RSPCA is investigating the cat's death

The four-year-old black and white male shorthair cat was found by his owner struggling for breath in a neighbour’s garden in Langham Road on May 20.

He was immediately taken to a vets, where tests confirmed he had ingested anti-freeze.

But his condition deteriorated and he was put to sleep by a vet to prevent further suffering.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

RSPCA inspector Clint Davies said: “Losing a much-loved family pet like this has been a very upsetting incident for the cat’s owner.

“We would also like to ask everyone in the area to keep an eye on their cats’ well-being and if they are showing symptoms of poisoning get them veterinary treatment immediately.

“We are urging anyone who has any information about this to please contact the RSPCA’s appeal line in complete confidence on 0300 1238018.

“At this stage we do not know if these were accidental incidents or deliberate but in the meantime we would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals including antifreeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.

“People should check their car radiators for leaks too.”

Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.

The signs of poisoning can include one, or several of the following: Vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures and difficulty breathing.

If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you should take it to a vet immediately.

If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container.

The RSPCA is a charity which relies on public donations to exist.

To assist the inspectors in carrying out theirl work text HELP to 78866 to give £3.