A five-year-old girl has been hailed as a life-saver after her quick-thinking helped to prevent her friend from choking to death.
Emma Hayes, a reception year pupil at Boughton Primary School, was sitting next to her best friend Dexter Wilson, aged four, during lunch last Thursday.
During the meal of sausages and mash, Dexter started to choke on a piece of meat that had become lodged in his throat.
Despite her young age, Emma quickly leapt into action and bent Dexter forwards and started to pat his back as he was struggling to breathe.
When she was unable to dislodge the food, Emma then caught the attention of a lunchtime supervisor, Jodie Knighton, who was forced to carry out the Heimlich manoeuvre.
Paul Archer, headteacher of Boughton Primary School, said he was very proud of his pupil’s quick-thinking.
He said: “Emma has been rewarded with a special certificate and we are also planning to contact St John Ambulance to put her forward for a special first aid award.
“It is pretty amazing for a five-year-old girl to save a life.”
Mr Archer said pupils at the school do not normally learn first aid tips until years four, five and six.
Emma’s mum Stacey Phillips, of Briixworth, said she believed her daughter may have picked up her life-saving skills from her twin older brothers, who are eight years old.
She said: “One of her older brothers struggles with his food and has a nut allergy so she may have seen one of them being patted on the back or doing the Heimlich Manoeuvre. I am very proud of her. She is lovely and I don’t think she realised the importance of what she did. She was born on September 1 so is one of the oldest children in the year. I think she is very mature for her age.”