Practical joke cigarettes for sale in Northamptonshire contain high levels of chemical which can cause cancer

One of the practical joke cigarettes found to contain high levels of chemicals which cause cancer.
One of the practical joke cigarettes found to contain high levels of chemicals which cause cancer.

Fake cigarettes on sale in Northamptonshire have been found to contain excessive amount of chemicals which can cause cancer, according to a trading standards survey.

A survey of the practical joke toys carried out by Northamptonshire County Council’s trading standards service found that over 10 per cent of the items sampled contained excessive amounts of restricted chemicals called phthalates.

No Caption ABCDE

No Caption ABCDE

Phthalates are toxic substances that may be associated with causing cancer, deformities in unborn babies and infertility in men and can be found in soft PVC which is commonly used in the manufacturing of toys.

Regulations restrict the presence of six different types phthalates in relation to parts of the toys that children could possibly put in their mouths.

In the worst instance, one of the toys was found to have over 20g per 100g of one of the restricted phthalates, this is 200 times the permitted legal maximum. The same item also contained 0.17g per 100g – 17 times the permitted maximum – of another restricted phthalate.

The toys were purchased from high street shops within Northamptonshire and were submitted to a public analyst for testing.

Following the trading standards survey, the suppliers of the affected toys have withdrawn them from sale pending further investigation.

Cabinet member for Public Protection, Strategic Infrastructure & Economic Growth Councillor Andre Gonzalez de Savage said: “Although these practical joke toys are not aimed at children, it’s more than likely that children will pick them up and play with them.

“The levels of chemicals in the items tested were worryingly high, in one case 200 times the permitted legal maximum. I’m pleased that trading standards were able to take this action and ensure they have been removed from sale. If anyone has purchased these toys they should throw them away.”