Poll result: Northampton residents say market should stay where it is

Over 80 per cent of people that took part in the Chronicle & Echo's poll have said that Northampton's market should remain where it is and not move to the town's main shopping street.

Monday, 20th March 2017, 3:01 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:12 am
A Northampton market trader

Northampton Borough Council is currently looking into ways to improve the market by creating another aisle and deep cleaning the square but opposition leader of the Labour group, Councillor Danielle Stone (Lab, Castle) has proposed going one step further and moving the market stalls to Abington Street.

She mentioned how the previous German market thrived on Abington Street and believed it would be likely traders would get more business if they were to move.

Off the back of this suggestion, the Chron asked readers to vote in a poll.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Results showed that 739 people voted and a resounding 81 per cent of readers want the location of the market to remain, while the other 19 per cent are happy to support the suggested move.

Social media user, Sandra Riley said on Facebook that the market shouldn't move.

She commented: "On days when the main market isn't on, what is needed is to expand the market and encourage a weekly Farmers Market, crafts, bric-a-brac stalls and car boot sales."

She said that Northampton Borough Council should publish market stall costs and details of how to apply for pitches.

Jade-Ami York agreed. She commented: 'We want local produce, things made by the local people sold at the market, that's what it's all about isn't it?

"Local meat, fish, baked goods, foods and handmade items, I know that's what attracts me to a market."

Elaine Edwards added: 'We have a Market Square, but it needs revitalising.

"Lower the charges and encourage the entrepreneurs to market their skills and talents and give local growers and producers a regular farmers market.

"Northampton once had a reputation for being one of the best outdoor markets in the country."

Even though 19 per cent of residents voted "yes" to the market move in the Chron's poll, there has been very little support on our Facebook page so far.