Rough sleeper's tent in Northampton churchyard catches fire in early morning blaze

A fire broke out on a Northampton churchyard after a rough sleeper's tent caught fire.

Wednesday, 6th November 2019, 3:03 pm
The tent on the churchyard of Holy Sepulchre was destroyed in an early morning blaze.

A fire engine was called to the Holy Sepulchre Church in Sheep Street yesterday morning (Nov 6) after the blaze broke out amongst an encampment of rough sleepers.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The tent and everything inside it was destroyed in the incident at 7.10am. No one was inside the tent at the time.

However, firefighters had to tackle the blaze before it could spread to other tents nearby.

The fire was extinguished by 7.30am and is believed to have been caused by candles left unattended.