.

Northampton's pubs then and now: See if you recognise the town's favourite locals in these vintage photos

Hundreds of Northampton pubs have come and gone over the decades - and some have stayed exactly the same.

Author Dave Knibb spoke to the Chronicle and Echo this week about his new directory of Northampton's historic pubs - featuring hundreds of classic pictures of the town's favourite watering holes. Here are some of the town's pubs in the old days and how they look today.

Once known as The Plasterer's Arms, the Black Lion was popular with actors from the Derngate theatre. But it rose to prominence when former Saints Captain Mr Edward Shadrack Dunkley became landlord in 1901 and ran the pub for 44 years.

5. Black Lion, aka The Wig and Pen, St Giles Street, 1968

Once known as The Plasterer's Arms, the Black Lion was popular with actors from the Derngate theatre. But it rose to prominence when former Saints Captain Mr Edward Shadrack Dunkley became landlord in 1901 and ran the pub for 44 years.
Dave Knibb
Buy a Photo
The pub became a mecca for live bands in the 50s and still hosts bands today, but is now best known for its sports coverage and heated garden.

6. The Wig and Pen, St Giles Street

The pub became a mecca for live bands in the 50s and still hosts bands today, but is now best known for its sports coverage and heated garden.
Buy a Photo
The Black Lion's formidable landlord 'Teddy' Dunkley is pictured here relaxing in his pub's garden.

7. The Black Lion garden, circa 1930s

The Black Lion's formidable landlord 'Teddy' Dunkley is pictured here relaxing in his pub's garden.
Dave Knibb
Buy a Photo
The Wig and Pen's popular heated, covered garden.

8. The Wig and Pen garden today

The Wig and Pen's popular heated, covered garden.
Buy a Photo
View more