Discarded cigarette catches fire to fence in busy Northampton street

Firefighters were called to a fire in Billing Road where a fence was alight.

Fire crews from Northampton received a 999 call just before 4pm yesterday (Monday) to Billing Road were a quantity of fence panels were on fire.

Firefighters were called to Billing Road

Firefighters were called to Billing Road

A spokesperson for Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was accidentally set alight by discarded cigarettes.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control shortly afterwards.