Northampton nightclub to reopen one month after 60-man riot

Bridge Street following the 60-man brawl in December
Bridge Street following the 60-man brawl in December

A Northampton nightclub that was closed after a 60-man riot began in the premises last month, will reopen today.

But Northampton Borough Council have said that the police will continue to closely monitor the venue and will be ready to respond to any incidents if necessary.

Faces, in Bridge Street in the town centre, was closed by the council last month after police officers accused it of failing to have sufficient security measures in place when the brawl developed.

CCTV footage showed that a fight began in the venue and then spilled out onto the street in the early hours of December 12 last year. Police said later that six people were stabbed during the violence, some of them in Faces bar.

Following an emergency licencing review with the council’s licensing sub-committee on the same day, the bar was ordered to close.

Leader of the council, David Mackintosh, said: “The safety of residents and visitors to our town is our top priority. As the licensing authority we have a duty to make sure that the pubs, clubs and other venues in Northampton are safe places to visit and are managed responsibly.

“Faces is being allowed to reopen, and working with Northamptonshire Police, our licensing officers will continue to monitor the situation ready to take action if required to keep the public safe.”

Following a private meeting last week with the council’s licensing sub-committee to lift the bar’s suspension, Faces owner Robert Snajdr said: “Our house is in order, it’s just a case of crossing the ts and dotting the is. I run a good venue and the people that come here love it. At the end of the day we have put all the measures in place now to ensure public safety.”

Mr Snajdr said he has hired a new security firm to oversee the venue since the incident and added that he would be glad to put the events of December 12 behind him.