Northampton man who attacked his mother with a TV remote control is spared jail

Crown Court GV'
Crown Court GV'

A Northampton man who used a remote control to beat his mother with during an unprovoked attack in her own home has been sentenced to unpaid work in the community.

Marcin Slonina had moved into his mother’s house in Oathill Rise, Ecton Brook, following the breakdown of a relationship with his long-term partner last year.

But in the four months he had been staying at his parent’s address, he had become angry and aggressive, Northampton Crown Court heard yesterday.

On December 23, the 29-year-old allowed his frustrations to spill over; unleashing a violent assault on his mother, which caused her heavy bruising.

Slonina was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and has been in prison since the incident.

Prosecuting at Slonina’s sentencing hearing yesterday, Matthew Lowe, described the attack on December 23.

He said “The defendant became angry with her, though it is not entirely clear why.

“She was in the kitchen and he ran towards her. He pulled her off a chair and onto the floor.

“While she was down on the floor he began slapping her and punching her.

“She put her arms out to protect herself. He then banged her head against the floor and began using a remote control to strike her.”

The assault continued in the victim’s bedroom. When Slonina’s mother began packing her bags to leave, he followed her into the room holding a knife and pushed her onto to her bed.

Eventually she managed to get away and called a friend, who dialled 999.

Slonina was arrested at his mother’s house shortly afterwards and yesterday the 29-year-old was handed a 15 month prison sentence, suspended for two years. He was also given a two year supervision order, in which he must carry out 150 hours of unpaid work and attend an offender behaviour program.

His mother requested that he was not given a restraining order against her.

Defending for Slonina, Matthew Kirk said his client ‘fully accepted what he has done’ and only brandished the knife as a ‘suicidal gesture’.