Northampton man jailed for attempted murder after slashing partner’s throat with a bread knife

Philip Green has been sentenced to 14 years in prison after the attempted  murder of his partner of 30 years.
Philip Green has been sentenced to 14 years in prison after the attempted murder of his partner of 30 years.

A Northampton man who tried to kill his partner of 30 years by slashing her throat with a bread knife has been handed a 14-year sentence.

Yesterday, Philip Green was jailed for the attempted murder of his long-term partner following an incident at their home in Portland Place, just off Wellingborough Road.

Northampton Crown Court heard how, on the evening of February 7, the 50-year-old returned home drunk from a bingo night in Kingsley before threatening to kill his partner’s grandson following an argument.

When the partner tried to stop him he turned around and cut her throat, leaving her with a 20-centimetre wound across her neck.

In sentencing Green to a 14-year term, Judge Rupert Mayo, said: “You made a concerted effort to kill her, I have absolutely no doubt about that.

“As a result of that, she was also left with injuries to her hand where she had tried to deflect the knife.”

Prosecuting, Matthew Lowe told the court how the attack left Green’s partner, who did not wish to be named following the proceedings, needing life-saving surgery.

Doctors had to place her in an induced coma after the knife had damaged cartilage and part of her jugular.

She remained in hospital until May and there is now a “very real prospect” she will have to eat meals through a tube indefinitely, said Mr Lowe.

In the days running up to February 7, Green had told his partner’s grandson that he was considering taking his own life, following the recent death of his parents and difficulties with his employment.

On that evening, he became enraged after discovering his partner had been informed of his suicidal thoughts.

He grabbed the bread knife and threatened to kill the grandson for telling her, but was stopped in the process by his partner.

“He had a knife in his hand and drew it across her throat,” said Mr Lowe.

“He said nothing and gave no warning.

“She pulled away and grabbed a towel to cover her neck.”

Defending for Green, Matthew Kirk, said the 50-year-old deeply regretted his actions.

“He still loves her,” he said. “He still misses her, he is appalled by what he has done.”

He added that Green had suffered from a history of alcohol abuse, stretching back to the age of 13.

The court also heard how the defendant had a previous conviction for threatening a pub proprietor with a meat cleaver following an argument.

Green - who nodded as Judge Mayo passed the 14 year sentence - will serve half his term in prison and the remainder on licence.