Man jailed for brutal stabbing of love rival

Darren Warboys
Darren Warboys
Share this article

A man who stabbed a love rival repeatedly in the back during a “sustained and brutal” attack in his own home, has been jailed for nine years.

Darren Warboys suspected the man of having an affair with his wife, and subjected him to a brutal attack which left him lying in pools of blood in a semi-conscious state.

Using a flick knife, Warboys stabbed his victim 17 times in the back, twice in the collarbone and three times in the head, leaving his skull visible.

The man was also punched repeatedly and throttled in the attack at his home in Eydon, near Daventry.

Warboys, aged 39, of Oak Drive, Woodford Halse, was sentenced at Northampton Crown Court on Friday.

He admitted grievous bodily harm with intent at Nottingham Crown Court on November 5 last year, when the charge was downgraded from attempted murder.

He maintained he had no recollection of taking the knife to the victim’s house.

Last week’s hearing was told Warboys’s wife, Jane, had struck up a friendship with the victim after meeting him at an amateur dramatics group. Warboys had seen the pair in a restaurant together and had threatened the man, and also read texts he had sent to his wife.

After an exchange between Warboys and his wife on July 23 last year, she sent the man a text saying “Lock your doors. Darren is coming to kill you.”

Jonathan Spicer, prosecuting, said: “He heard a car screech to a halt outside his house. He didn’t have time to open the door because Mr Warboys had already kicked it in. He got back into the car and drove off, but it was not too long before he returned.

“On this occasion, he began to punch the victim to the face, below the eye and to the jaw. He held him by the neck and he thought he was trying to kill him. He couldn’t breathe.”

Mr Spicer said the victim’s wife managed to push Warboys away. He said: “She was hysterical. There were pools of blood in the hallway. He was covered in blood and was drifting in and out of consciousness.”

The victim did not require surgery, but needed two pints of blood. In an impact statement, he said he had not worked for four months afterwards and his marriage had “disintegrated”.

Maxine Crone, mitigating, said Warboys suffered from “unstable personality traits” and had taken two overdoses. She said: “It was not premeditated, it was done in the heat of a very emotional moment.

“He was under considerable stress. He had lost his business and his marriage. He was jealous and angry and is extremely embarrassed and ashamed of what he did.”

Mrs Warboys, who also spoke at the hearing, said: “Everyone who knows him respects him and knows this was totally out of character. To this day, it still shocks us.”

Sentencing Warboys, Judge Rupert Mayo said: “This was a sustained and repeated assault on your victim. The number of stab wounds makes that plain.

“You took a weapon, a horrific-looking knife, to the scene. You went there to injure him. There is also the fact this took place in this victim’s own home, in the small hours. I accept you now feel massive remorse for what you did, and this is not in character for you. But this was a sustained and brutal attack.”