Little time for Marcus

TIME is running out for Marcus Bignot to earn a long-term deal with Rushden & Diamonds.

The right-back – who celebrates his 28th birthday today – signed a one-month contract at Nene Park just before the start of the Nationwide League season.

But he suffered medial knee ligament damage just 11 minutes into his home debut against Torquay United last midweek which will keep him out of action at least until the derby date at Cambridge United a week on Saturday.

Birmingham-born Bignot turned down the offer of a new deal this summer at QPR where he only missed one game in Division Two last season. He has also played for Kidderminster Harriers, Crewe Alexandra and Bristol Rovers.

Diamonds boss Brian Talbot confirmed: “He won’t be available over the holiday period. But, hopefully, he will be fit for the game with Cambridge next week.”

However there was some good news on the injury front yesterday with central defenders Andy Tillson (hamstring) and Mark Peters (knee) both expected to return to the squad for Saturday’s trip to Shrewsbury Town.

Talbot needs one of them to be passed fit for a place in the starting line-up alongside Corby teenager John Dempster because Barry Hunter must serve a suspension for his red card on the opening day at Swansea City.

Northern Ireland international Hunter, though, will be available for selection in the home game against Scunthorpe United on Bank Holiday Monday.

Former Diamonds defender Jim Rodwell, meanwhile, has left third division new boys Boston United for Conference club Farnborough Town after just a few months in Lincolnshire.

He signed on Tuesday and made his debut that night at home to Stevenage Borough. But after only 33 minutes Rodwell conceded a penalty which presented the visitors with a 1-0 victory.

The centre-half links up again with ex-Diamonds team-mates Garry Butterworth and Tony Pennock who switched from Nene Park to the ambitious Hampshire club during the close season.

Striker Justin Jackson – still Diamonds’ record signing following his 180,000 move from Morecambe just over two years ago – scored in the last minute to seal a 2-0 win for Doncaster Rovers at Leigh RMI.