'Kind, loving' Kettering man died at home after tea lights started fire while he slept, inquest hears

A Kettering man who died of smoke inhalation was most likely asleep when a fire in his flat was started by tea lights, an inquest has heard.

Thursday, 6th September 2018, 7:49 am
Updated Thursday, 6th September 2018, 7:52 am
An inquest at County Hall in Northampton heard how Joseph Gribben died of smoke inhalation at his flat in Kettering.

Joseph Gribben was found dead at his home in Weekley Glebe Road after support workers spotted signs of soot and fire damage above his patio door in September 2017.

But when fire crews accessed the flat, they found the isolated fire had long been extinguished and 45-year-old Joseph had tragically died of smoke inhalation.

At Joseph's inquest yesterday (September 5), the coroner heard how Joseph was fond of tea lights and candles.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

In a statement read out by the coroner, Joseph's sister Laura said: "Joseph is missed by his family and friends. He had a big kind heart and was a very loving member of a family.

"He had a passion for cooking and food and liked to cook for family and friends. He loved travelling and often took off on road trips with friends to the highlands of Scotland. He loved being outside in the countryside."

The coroner ruled Joseph died of an accidental death.