Indian restaurant in Northampton fined Â£5,000 after dirt, grease and food debris found on kitchen equipment
An Indian restaurant in Northampton has been fined Â£5,000 after environmental health officers found dirt, grease and food debris on kitchen equipment.
Food hygiene inspectors visited Mumbai Dreams Indian Restaurants Limited in Earl Street, Northampton, last June and found a number of kitchen surfaces had not been cleaned properly.
A large amount of dirt and grease was found on a cooker and food debris was found on kitchen shelves.
The restaurant was charged with two breaches of Food Safety & Hygiene Regulations 2013 and the case was heard at Northampton Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
No one from the restaurant appeared at the hearing where Mumbai Indian Restaurants Limited was fined £2500 for each of the two food hygiene offences and the director Abdul Kaium, was also fined £2500 for each of the two food hygiene offences.
The restaurant must also pay costs of £1000.
Councillor Alan Bottwood, cabinet member for environment, said: “Northampton Borough Council takes food hygiene and public health very seriously and all food businesses in Northampton are visited on a regular basis.
“The Environmental Health team ensure that businesses in the town are in a fit and proper state to act as commercial premises. Unfortunately this restaurant did not meet food hygiene safety standards when our Environmental Health team inspected the premises, therefore a prosecution was made.
The restaurant was taken over by a new owner in October last year who has said that hygiene rules there have been followed, but that the restaurant will now close.