Husband beat up his wife because she emptied his bucket of urine kept in Northampton house for ‘months’

Crown Court GV'
Crown Court GV'

A husband who violently assaulted his wife after she emptied a bucket of urine he had kept in their Northampton house for months has been given a suspended jail sentence.

Ajmall Meah, of Fairfield Road, Kingsley, was charged with assault and causing actual bodily harm after he carried out a campaign of physical abuse on his wife.

Northampton Crown Court heard Meah was part of an arranged marriage in Bangladesh in 2012 and he then returned to the UK.

Andrew Howarth, prosecuting, said Meah’s wife then came over to live with him in Northampton in March 2014.

Mr Howarth said Meah’s behaviour throughout the marriage was “eccentric, controlling and isolating.”

The court heard that Meah refused to talk to his wife when she was in Bangladesh and carried on his silence when she came to live with him.

Mr Howarth said Meah would urinate in a bucket and then refuse to empty it for months.

He said: “The defendant would prevent his wife from opening the window to let out the smell.”

The court heard Meah would also hoard household rubbish in the house and, if his wife tried to take it out, he would become aggressive and swear at her.

Mr Howarth said Meah would also lock her out of the house and would keep her chronically short of food, sometimes not allowing her food for up to three days.

The first assault charge related to an incident in September 2014 when Meah’s wife became so fed up with the smell of rubbish in the house she opened the window and took out some of the waste.

The court heard that Meah waited until she was asleep and then pressed a halogen heater on her arm, causing it to blister.

Mr Howarth said in May this year, the smell of the urine became so bad that she took the bucket into the garden and tipped it away.

After seeing her do this, Meah launched a 20-minute violent assault on her causing bruising to her legs and arms.

The woman then contacted the police and Meah was arrested on May 30 this year.

Meah pleaded guilty to both assault charges at a plea and case management hearing.

Matthew Kirk, defending, said Meah, who has been in custody for the past five months, was registered blind and had “little or no education.”

His Honour Judge Timothy Smith sentenced Meah to a year in prison, suspended for 12 months. He must also complete a rehabilitation programme and pay costs of £900.

He was also given a restraining order banning him from contacting his wife, who is now living with family in another part of the country.