Flood evacuees homeless for the weekend

editorial image

Caravan park residents in Northamptonshire have been told they will not be allowed home until at least Monday.

Northampton Borough Council said it had now spoken to everyone evacuated from holiday homes at Billing Aquadrome to Lings Forum as a result of flooding.

With arrangements in place, they said the rest centre at Lings will be closing later today.

And the evacuees have also been told that Billing Aquadrome and Cogenhoe Mill will remain closed at least until Monday, Novemeber 26.

Councillor David Mackintosh, leader of Northampton Borough Council, said: “In an emergency situation our priority is to make sure everyone is safe and looked after.

“Opening up Lings as a rest centre gave holiday home owners somewhere to go and a place to sleep while they made longer-term arrangements.

“Obviously a rest centre is not suitable for people to stay in any longer than necessary. So for those who need it we are providing assistance through housing support services, and in extreme cases we can look at homelessness support. However, many holiday home owners will be able to make their own arrangements, and we will continue to keep them updated on what is happening.

“If anyone finds that they need assistance and have nowhere to turn, they can call the borough council’s homelessness helpline, Northampton 629804 at any time of day or night.”

The borough council will be providing housing support for people who have particular needs, and it said others have made their own arrangements.

All the agencies involved are continuing to monitor the situation and will continue to provide updates in the coming days through the following websites:

www.billingaquadrome.com for park information

www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods for flood warnings and guidance

www.metoffice.gov.uk for weather forecasts and warnings

www.northants.police.uk for traffic updates and policing information

www.northamptonshire.gov.uk for flood information and advice

www.northampton.gov.uk for local information