Fire crews called to tackle blaze caused by fireworks in a Northampton garden

Firefighters were called to a Northampton garden fire on New Year's Day to extinguish flames after a firework was erroneously lit following midnight celebrations.

Thursday, 5th January 2017, 12:45 pm
Updated Monday, 9th January 2017, 1:11 pm
New Year's Day fire on Adams Avenue

The fire took hold of a brick built shed and rubbish in a neighbours garden on Adams Avenue of Abington while the homeowners were absent.

Aidan Ashby, a resident of Adams Avenue said: “It [the fire] was pretty big and spreading, nobody was in the house or garden at the time.

“There were a few bushes and a tree on fire, and there was a fence burning, the gardens not very wide, probably 50ft.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

New Year's Day fire on Adams Avenue

A spokeswoman for Northamptonshire fire and rescue service said: “We were called at 12:14am on New Year’s Day to a garden fire in Adams Avenue. Upon arrival, we discovered there was a brick built shed and some rubbish on fire.”

It is understood that nobody was hurt during the incident.

Fire crews called to tackle blaze caused by fireworks in a Northampton garden
New Year's Day fire on Adams Avenue
Fire crews called to tackle blaze caused by fireworks in a Northampton garden