Error in planning refusal to be 'corrected' by council ahead of public inquiry

The application to build more than 60 homes was refused by South Northamptonshire Council earlier this year
The application to build more than 60 homes was refused by South Northamptonshire Council earlier this year

A ‘typing error’ which could weaken a council’s position in refusing a major housing scheme is set to be ‘corrected’ ahead of a public inquiry.

South Northamptonshire Council’s planning committee refused an application to build 66 homes in Rothersthorpe back in January.

The committee believed that the application, on Kislingbury Road, failed to meet several of the council’s planning policies, but due to the typing error the wrong policy was listed in the refusal.

The policy in question, R1 of the Joint Core Strategy, states that planning approval will only be given to sites where housing requirements have already been met if the scheme results in environmental improvements, supports local services that may be under threat or it has been informed by a community involvement exercise. It was instead listed as H1.

Members of the committee will be asked to amend the reason for refusal at a meeting tomorrow evening (September 6), due to the applicants - Amanda Jones and Hollins Strategic Land - appealing the decision.

A public inquiry is expected to take place scrutinising the decision in February next year. Councillors on the planning committee will be told that making the correction is ‘important to the council’s case’.

They will also be told that not agreeing with the proposed change of wording would lead to the reason for refusal being incorrect, which may ‘weaken the council’s case when the appeal is heard at the public inquiry’.

The issue will be discussed at The Forum in Towcester, where councillors will also determine planning applications to create public open space at the Towcester Grange development, and plans to build 77 homes at Burcote Road in the town.