Dog that mistakenly drank bottle of antifreeze in Northampton has life saved by vodka drip

A dog, which finished off a bottle of highly poisonous antifreeze over the festive period, was rushed to a vet in Northampton with fears over kidney failure.

Friday, 6th January 2017, 11:30 am
Updated Monday, 9th January 2017, 1:02 pm
Dog that mistakenly drank bottle of antifreeze in Northampton has life saved by vodka drip

Mischa the Maladie was kept on a vodka drip at Vets4Pets for several days as a process that makes the dog sick to eliminate any antifreeze left in her stomach.

Vet, Harry Garcia Tauman started Mischa on the drip containing vodka pure alcohol neutralises the effect of ethylene glycol, which has a sweet taste, and is the active ingredient in antifreeze.

Head vet and practice owner, Jenny Millington MRCVS said: “We are all delighted that Mischa made a full recovery and are grateful to her owners for allowing us to share her story.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mischa the Maladie was kept on a vodka drip at Vets4Petsfor several days, which is a process that makes the dog sickto eliminateany antifreeze left in her stomach.

“Please be extra careful when using antifreeze, clean up any spills and dispose of any empty bottles straight away. We hope Mischa has learnt her lesson and won't need any more vodka.”

After almost a week Mischa’s kidneys returned to a normal function and she underwent a detox before being allowed home to her owners, Mr and Mrs Garner.

Mischa the Maladie was kept on a vodka drip at Vets4Petsfor several days, which is a process that makes the dog sickto eliminateany antifreeze left in her stomach.