Woman allegedly caused fatal crash by 'driving error' on Northamptonshire road, court hears

A woman caused the death of a 56-year-old carer due to an alleged 'driving error' possibly caused by a loss of concentration at the wheel, a court heard.

Friday, 6th May 2016, 6:26 pm
A fatal crash took place on the A510 near Finedon

Michelle Frewin, aged 28, was driving her Peugeot 206 on the A510 Thrapston Road, Finedon, on December 5, 2014 when she collided with a Suzuki car being driven by Jenny Tilley.

Miss Tilley, a carer from Wellingborough, died at the scene of the crash after her car was pushed into a ditch.

Frewin, of Monkston Park, Milton Keynes, has pleaded not guilty to causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving and a trial started at Northampton Crown Court yesterday (Thursday).

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

James Thomas, prosecuting, told the jury the crash had happened on a straight length of road, 83 metres after a gentle left hand bend.

The jury were told analysis of the road surface had revealed there were no potential skid hazards such as oil, ice or mud.

The two vehicles were also analysed and no defects were found.

Mr Thomas said: “The prosecution say there were no environmental or vehicle failures identified that caused the crash. It could only be due to driver error that caused her to lose control of her vehicle and move across the solid white line in the middle of the road, resulting in the collision.

“It may be because she was distracted and there was an element of panic and oversteering caused her to lose control, something similar to falling asleep.

“This is a case of driver error and there is no other sensible, practical or credible explanation as to why this fatal collision has happened.”

The court heard that when she was interviewed by police, Frewin said she had been following the audible instructions on a sat nav programme on her mobile phone, which was on the passenger seat.

Phone records revealed she had not made or received any calls or text messages in the minutes before the crash.

Frewin told officers that she had been travelling at 50mph on the national speed limit road and had suffered a “sudden, unexpected loss of control of her front wheels.”

The trial continues.