Seven-year-old who tried to help Northampton murder victim uses pocket money for floral tribute

Kellie Harrison's seven-year-old son with his floral tribute
Kellie Harrison's seven-year-old son with his floral tribute

A Good Samaritan who gave first aid to a murder victim after an attack in Northampton town centre has paid tribute to the actions of her seven-year-old son.

Kellie Harrison, 29, and her seven-year-old son, Thomas, tried to give first aid Jon Casey, 35, of Ecton Brook, after they discovered him by the railings in Barrack Road near to the Lazeez restaurant on Friday evening.

The scene of a serious incident in Barrack Road, Northampton

The scene of a serious incident in Barrack Road, Northampton

Speaking to the Chronicle & Echo, Mrs Harrison, told how many people had just walked past Mr Casey before they stopped to help him.

On the Chron’s Facebook page, Mrs Harrison said: “My seven-year-old that helped me try to give first aid last night, decided he wanted to use his pocket money to buy flowers for the sadly passed man - RIP Jon Casey.

“We’re overwhelmed by the all the help and support we’ve received. Such kind words from you all. We did what anyone else would humanely do.

“I’m immensely proud of my child’s courage and bravery. He conducted himself calmly throughout the whole ordeal. He followed instructions and directed the police officers to the scene.

“My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends. I cannot imagine the anguish & torment there going through right now, it doesn’t bear thinking about.

“My heart goes out to his children. What a cold, callous and calculating thing to do.

“A man lost his life. His mother and father lost their child. His children lost their daddy.”

Police have launched a murder investigation into the attack, which happened at about 5pm on Friday.

Kellie Harrison, 29, was taking her seven-year-old son to a Martial Arts class in The Mounts at 5.15pm on Friday when she saw a man by the railings in Barrack Road outside the Izeez restaurant.

Ms Harrison said a lot of people were walking past the man but she stopped to help him as he looked like he may be injured.

After talking to him she immediately rang 999 for an ambulance.

Ms Harrison said she was on the phone to the operator for 11 minutes and helped cover the man’s wounds. She said her son helped direct police officers to the scene of the incident.

An ambulance crew and police officers then arrived at 5.25pm and the man was taken to hospital.

She said: “I was really shocked. I did all I could to help him. I wish I could have done more.”

Det Insp Mark Brayfield, from Northamptonshire Police, said detectives were now following a number of lines of inquiry.

He said: “This was a brutal and ultimately fatal attack and we would urge anyone in the area at the time and who may have seen anything suspicious to come forward.

“We are very keen to know of Mr Casey’s movements in the hours leading up to his death,” he added.

Anyone with information should call Northamptonshire Police on 101 or, alternatively, Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111